Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Electronic Component References? — Parallax Forums

Electronic Component References?

Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
edited 2006-11-30 01:42 in General Discussion
Does anybody know of a good print or online component reference that lists components by typical circuit usage?

So, for instance, if I was looking for diodes for designing a power supply, under the "diodes" category, I would look up "power supply" or "rectifier", and it would list common diodes for this application.

Thanks.

Comments

• boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2006-11-28 23:29
  • terahertzterahertz Posts: 55
    edited 2006-11-29 04:05
    It's been my experience that, no there isn't a place where you can pick out components like that. There isn't a place on the internet (TIKO) where you can enter numbers·on a·chip and find out what it is. A few chips maybe, but nothing even close to a database.

The best way to specify parts, unfortunately, is to understand the math behind the specs.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-29 07:50
    Try the Navy's basic military electronics course as ALL U.S. Government documents cannot hold a Copyright
    [noparse][[/noparse]though they can be classified 'secret', etc.]. What ever is public is ours.

www.ziannet.com/NMAMARS/downloads//neets.htm

Or just Google NEETS

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2006-11-29 21:43
    Nice link Kramer.

For those just looking for basic instruction, go here:
    www.tpub.com/neets/book1/chapter1/index.htm

More stuff here:
    www.tpub.com/content/neets/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Perfection in design is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
    It is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.

Post Edited (PLJack) : 11/29/2006 9:47:34 PM GMT
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-30 00:47
    Yeah, I've done some looking, and haven't found anything. What I'm envisioning is sort of a reverse look-up, like the phone directories.

If I look at the datasheet for a 2N2222 NPN transistor, it lists linear amplification & switching as suggested applications. However, with 100s or 1000s of transistors on the market, there should be a better way of finding the right one than guessing which datasheets to look at. So it would be great to look up "Linear Amplification" as the main category, then drill down to more specific characteristics from there.

Like those things you find in Wal-Mart for choosing which air filter model to use for your car...
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2006-11-30 01:42
    I·found this to
    http://www.findchips.com/