Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stamp products with a pneumatic cylinder — Parallax Forums

stamp products with a pneumatic cylinder

FuzzyWalnutFuzzyWalnut Posts: 1
edited 2006-11-29 04:15 in General Discussion
Ok here goes. Has any one tried to use any stamp products with a pneumatic cylinder?

I can find a mini air pump and cylinders but the trick is the solenoid valves to allow me to control the cylinder to extend and retract under stamp control.

Does any one know of good supplier that handles them? I will probably be using 1/8 to 1/4 inch tubing so the PSI and volume of air will not be too high

I am trying to do this on a modest budget.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-11-24 08:03
    Fuzzy -

Take a look over here: http://www.herbach.com/

First key "neumatics" (sic) into the search engine. Check out the results. Next try "manifold". That will expose most, if not all, of the pneumatic gear they sell.

You will probably need a Darlington driver chip both because of the amperage, and due to the need for 24 VDC. Be careful, some of those units operate on 24 VAC!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-11-24 14:03
    Try these guys: www.clippard.com/ They have lots of miniature pneumatic devices, including cylinders, valves, logic devices, etc.

Also, look in your local yellow pages on "Pneumatics", "Fluid Power" and "Hydraulics".

Keep in mind that many of the local distributors may not care to deal with a "hobbiest", but if you can find one that doesn't mind, you would find a great wealth of information and support.

If you have a friend or relative in engineering or purchasing, you may also be able to get "in with" one of the local companies.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-24 15:52
    Try using a CO2 tank from a welding supply for a fire safe and quite source of pressurized gas. The tank is expensive, but the refills are quite cheap. And you don't need to be near an electrical outlet to power the device.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • ChrisPChrisP Posts: 136
    edited 2006-11-26 13:42
    I use Humphrey 310 and 410 series on a regular basis. 310-12VDC is a single acting, a 410-12VDC is a double acting, both are 12 volt drive. The 310 valve is mostly for spring return stuff, the 410 drives a cylinder both ways.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-11-28 14:43
    FYI - depending on what you are doing depends on if you want to use pnumatics. If you are using it for muscle type functions with a rubber encasing then it will bounce some. If you are using it like a semi does to acutate a function then you will be ok.

There is a place called hydraluic specilties out of Spring Lake Park MN that has a reasonable collection of both liquid and air actuators.

You can also look up scuba gear, Fish tank equipment, Semi equipment (air brakes etc) and simple hobby air compressors.

I have a very small air compressor that is about 1 1/2 gallons designed for hobby work. There are·a surprising amount of available valves and tools.
  • SteveDSteveD Posts: 64
    edited 2006-11-29 04:15
    If you give me some time I may be able to get you some solenoid valves for almost free. I am not sure of the required voltage however I do know they are being controlled from electronic components so I am assuming perhaps 24 volts DC. I am in the process of scrapping out some no longer in use equipment. Let me know if you would like for me to check into this for you.

Steve