Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PASM Parallax Assember query — Parallax Forums

PASM Parallax Assember query

dave29dave29 Posts: 5
edited 2006-11-25 23:40 in General Discussion
I am a relative beginner with microcontroller programming and attempting to learn
the PIC MCU. I am using "The Microcontroller Beginner's Handbook" by Lawrence A. Duarte as a tutorial guide.
The sample projects use the PIC16CXX series, (16C54, 16C55 & 16C71) and his firmware listings are all Parallax Assembly code.

I read on a few websites that Parallax had a download for PASM (parallax assembler) on their website, but I cannot find it. I am guessing the reason may be, it is considered obsolete. Does anyone know where I might find a version of PASM and PASMX?

Thanks, Dave

sample PIC coding

;Variables and equates
;
strobe     =  ra.0
random   =  ra.1
reset        =  ra.2
statest     =  ra.3

led1     =   rb
led2     =   rc
        org    8    ;start address of register variable space

count_low   ds        1    ;low byte of delay counter

count_hi      ds    1    ;high byte of delay counter

statdir         ds      1    ;left=0, right=1

stat_low    ds    1    ;status counter low byte

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-11-23 01:28
    Hi Dave, the SX/B compiler can use Basic or Assembly or a combination of both·for the SX range of processors.

http://www.parallax.com/sx/sxb.asp

Jeff T.
  • dave29dave29 Posts: 5
    edited 2006-11-23 02:02
    Thanks Jeff, i am not familiar with SX range of processors. I read they are Ubicom's family of 8bit MCUs.
    I am trying to program a PIC16C55 and eventually some other PIC16CXX MCUs.

Are you saying that the PASM (Parallax Assembler) is included with the SX/B compiler and I may be able
    to assemble my code within that tool?
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-11-23 02:44
    Dave, I am new to the SX myself so I cant go much further than to say that from what I'v learnt that PASM was replaced by SASM which was for programming the SX which is now integrated into the SX key/SB compiler. I dont know if its possible to program a PIC16C using this software.

Jeff T.
    edited 2006-11-23 02:52
    I won't need to program the PIC with PASM, just assemble the code (convert to hex). I have other
    tools to program the PIC.

Thanks again, Dave
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-23 03:06
    Dave, are you using Microchip's IDE for programming? You might want to see if it will assemble the PASM code, maybe with a directive enabled.

Beyond that, you would probably be better off in the long run rewriting the PASM code in Microchip ASM.
    edited 2006-11-23 06:10
    Yes Kevin, I'm using MPLab IDE. I wasn't successfull running the PASM code there. I'll check to see if that directive can be enabled.
    I am prepared to rewrite the PASM code if necessary. I have a few more rocks to turn over, before I get to that point. roll.gif
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-23 08:20
    The dilemma here is that PASM is really an old name for the current SX-KEY assembler.
    If you go to www.sxlist.com, you can find documents that will show you the differences between SX-KEY and PIC assembler for some PIC processors -- but not all.

You bit of code should be quite easy, but in larger programs the PIC doesn't provide for PAGE and BANK commands. These are quite important as the SXes have more memory for similar devices. The SX-28 is likely to be close to a 16F84, but with another byte of I/O port.

It would be easier to just buy an SX-Blitz, an SX-28 chip and work through the programs on the platform they were intended for. The documentation is both shorter and clearer. Microchip writes huge documents that don't alway provide things in a straight forward manner.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-23 12:01
    If you do consider moving to the Sx, as Kramer suggested, get the Sx-Key instead of the Sx-Blitz. The price difference use to be $70, but now it's only $20. The extra few dollars buys you in-circuit debugging.

If you are intent on PASM with the PIC, contact James Newton on the SX List. He maintains SX List & PIC List, so he is familiar with bot tool sets. FWIW, I think you would be better off not using PASM with the PIC; you'll be limiting yourself in some way or other.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-11-23 15:17
    Also the SX/B compiler assumes you are using "TURBO" mode. So all the timing will be wrong on a PIC.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-24 22:26
    The "PASM" assembler you're referring to is now called "CVASM16" and is available from Tech-Tools here.

-Phil
    edited 2006-11-25 23:40
    Thanks for all your helpful suggestions..
    I notice a few of you have an affinity for the SX MCUs. At some point I will definately take a closer look at them.
    For now I'd like to assemble some Parallax code for a PIC16C55 project.

Phil, I appreciate your passing on the link for CVASM16. It looks very promising.