Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA: Tiny Basic keyboard — Parallax Forums

HYDRA: Tiny Basic keyboard

inakiinaki Posts: 262
edited 2006-11-24 10:53 in Propeller 1
The keyboard under Tiny Basic works as follows: when I press a key, say 'P', it gets printed, and the cursor advances·one position. Then when I press another key, say 'R', the effect is that the first character is deleted and the cursor goes back one position. So I cannot·write more than·one character on the screen.
I·guess ·this is not the way it should work, is it ?

I have compiled the RGW_tinyBasic demo.

Note: I am using the mini-keyboard included with the Hydra.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-22 17:59
    Keyboard should work fine, I have one right here. Make sure the keyboard is plugged in really good, also make sure when the keyboard boots you disable all the weird control modes and make sure its not in some special cntr or shift mode. Also, make sure you are using the right version of basic and the top level file:

RGW_TINYBASIC_010.SPIN

You should be able to just write code like any other basic intepreter.

10 print "hello world":goto 10
    run

For example.

Andre
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-11-23 12:01
    It was the keyboard! I have replaced it and now it works (actually now I see the welcome screen that did not see before!).
    Now I can type anything without problem.
    By the way, replacing the keyboard solved my problem with Ball Buster game too!

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-23 12:48
    Sorry, the problem is still there !. After some minutes working it stopped to work, again.
    It cannot be the keyboard itself because I have replaced it.

The Tiny Basic welcome screen that shows when it does work does not show when it fails. Only the cursor shows at the top left corner. And then the problem that I describe above.

So definitely there is still a problem here.:-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-23 22:28
    Hmm, well there is really nothing between the keyboard and the propeller other than a couple transistors. I am starting to think potentially this prop chip is faulty. But, if EVERYTHING else works then that can't be. Have you tried all the other games and demos and let them run for some time without trouble?

Andre'
    edited 2006-11-24 09:39
    Once the games start running they don't break. The problem happens always when I just reload a game to RAM or, if I saved it to the EEPROM, when I reset the board. That is to say, the problem happens *sometimes* when Propeller restarts execution.

I have a bunch of Propeller chips over here so I will replace it and see what happens.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-24 10:53
    Well, just hit reset a few times, and the prop tool gets squirrely if you have it running for days at a time and or a lot of other apps. Sometimes a restart and reload does the trick as well.

Andre'