Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What ZIF Socket for the QFN ? — Parallax Forums

What ZIF Socket for the QFN ?

Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
edited 2006-11-22 02:40 in Propeller 1

Hey, can someone please tell me what ZIF socket I need for the QFN chip ?
Can I get it from Digi-key. I need to order parts.

Thanks,
-Areal

Could someone please tell me what kind of part this is ?
·
It’s the single female row·13 position connector (dark colored) directly to the right
Of the small breadboard on the demo board. I can’t find this part anywhere.
I know it's just a simple female connector, but it's 13 positions long.

http://www.parallax.com/images/prod_jpg/32100.jpg

What’s the general name of it ? and where can I get a close look alike ?
It’s for my propeller·hot-rod project freaked.gif
Thanks,

Post Edited (Areal Person) : 11/21/2006 9:51:06 PM GMT

Comments

• BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2006-11-21 21:26
    You can just buy a long female header, and cut it to size.
  • Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
    edited 2006-11-21 21:29
    I looked at digi-key and could not find anything, oh, well.

Thanks, I guess I overlooked it.

-Areal
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-11-21 21:29
    This part is usually called a female header, but Parallax calls it a SIP socket. Parallax sells them for $1 www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=450-01301
    edited 2006-11-21 21:34
    Thanks !, just what I needed !
    edited 2006-11-21 21:48

Thanks,
    -Areal
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2006-11-22 01:33
    A ZIF socket for QFN? Are you nuts! [noparse]:)[/noparse] If you can get a socket I guarantee that it will be expensive and besides the socket will be larger than the QFN footprint. If you want something that is socketable then you should go for the 40-pin DIP. If you are worried about soldering the QFN or damaging it then don't be too worried as they are very easy to work with. Just make sure the PCB pads extend out a little from the chip and this will make it easier to manually solder and inspect.

Why are you working with the QFN anyway, why not the QFP? I would use QFN in a tight design but otherwise there is no problem using QFP.

*Peter*
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-11-22 01:38
    Areal Person said...

Thanks,
    -Areal
    Areal,

Getting appropriate QFN and LQFP sockets for our Propeller testers was a very long (and expensive) process. We tried several different manufacturers' sockets before we found·ANY that even worked with our packages.·You would think this would have been a simple matter, but it was very complicated because of the many subtleties which exist between apparently matching chips and sockets. In two cases, we actually built test boards before being able to tell that there was some show-stopping problem with the socket. In the end, the only QFN sockets that we found useable for the P8X32A-M44·were these from Plastronics:

44QN65F19090
    44LQ65F19090

I began to post the drawings for these, but then realized that they were marked 'proprietary' by Plastronics. So, you'll probably need to contact them to have them send you the drawings. I tried Googling the .pdf names, but nothing came up. Unless you really need to insert and remove parts, I would just solder the part to a PCB and forget about it. These sockets are expensive and tightly pitched in metric units. Like I said, unless you're really up to it, I wouldn't bother with a socket. We need them to test production·chips, but shy of that,·I would never·use one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-11-22 02:21
    Thank you very much for your help.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-11-22 02:40
    judging from some of the other posts about the propeller's "robustness", I wouldn't worry about having to replace one on an SMT design, something else will likely blow first

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.