Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drilling Template — Parallax Forums

Drilling Template

LightfootLightfoot Posts: 228
edited 2006-11-22 23:55 in General Discussion
What is a good easy-to-use drawing program that lets you draw and position various geometric figures (such as circles for·drill holes, cutouts, etc).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Well well, I'm seeing things, three of them.

-Stanley Blystone

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-11-22 06:33
    I'm not sure what exactly you are needing to do, but two you might want to look at are FrontDesigner (you can download a free demo version) and the software you get for free from Front Panel Express. Both are generally intended for doing front and rear case panels, but could be used for other things too.

FrontDesigner

Front Panel Express

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick

Post Edited (RDL2004) : 11/22/2006 6:44:25 AM GMT
  • LightfootLightfoot Posts: 228
    edited 2006-11-22 06:58
    I want to draw the panel cutouts and drill·holes for a control panel I am making.· I want to print them to a piece of paper so I can align the holes on the stock I am drilling for my panel.· I do not have access to a CNC machine so none of the programs you listed are useful.· ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Stanley Blystone
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-11-22 07:21
    Turbocad has a demo and is pretty easy to use, it will do what you want.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-22 09:24
    Something that's worked for me when I'm in a hurry, and doesn't involve a computer at all, is perfboard. The 0.042" holes are on an accurate 0.1" spacing. If you can coerce your panel design to that resolution, all you have to do is draw circles around the hole locations you want to drill, tape it down, and go for it. Use a drill the same size as the holes for best accuracy. Then go back and enlarge them to the correct size. For drilling sheetmetal, or even plastic, I highly recommend pre-drilling larger holes with a #2 spot drill. This will keep large bits from "walking" and ending up in the wrong location.

-Phil
    edited 2006-11-22 09:42
    A perfboard would work with my punch too but I have acquard hole positioning such as T0-3 mounts.· I don't like demo or trial version software, just free or lite versions.· I have been looking at some of those 2D drafting programs out there, most are not good.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Stanley Blystone
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-22 09:55
    You might give Alibre Express a try. It's free (so the site says) and has 2D layout capability.

-Phil
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-11-22 12:54
    Well, Google SketchUp has 2D capabilities also. Maybe it's worth checking out.

Also, the free software from Front Panel Express doesn't require you to use their service. You can save and print and that may be all you need.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick

Post Edited (RDL2004) : 11/22/2006 1:31:49 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-22 23:55
    Front panel express is working so far.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Stanley Blystone