Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wire Splicing — Parallax Forums

Wire Splicing

metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
edited 2006-11-22 22:58 in General Discussion
I am using one wall wart to power 6 led circuits. I have 6 10' DC jack wires so 6 positive and 6 negative. I need to connect them to the positive and negative wires comming from the wall wart.

I am stripping the wires connecting them all and soldering then using shrink wrap to cover each 1 to 6 wires and then a larger shrink wrap to cover the 2from the wall wart and 12 wires out.

Is there a better way using a crimp connector+solder for this many wires or is the method I am using just fine?

I thought about making a thin 1/4" inch x 1" two rail circuit board to solder all wires too and then shrink that to the wires.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
Think outside the BOX!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-21 20:07
    Barrier Terminal Strips come to mind when trying to buss power out to multiple places from a single source.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-11-21 20:27
    The problem with Terminal Strips is they have to be attached to something, put in a box and I want to avoid the expense of the box, circuit boards, connectors all of that. It is only 5V regulated supply. I hve a design that uses a foot switch where 6 lines come out and a wart plugs into a DC jack. It adds too much to the bottom line for cost.

I have read what I am doing works well though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Think outside the BOX!
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-11-21 22:17
    If it works it's ok....but if you have to work on it, will it be easy?

That's how my boss asks me to put things together! "Looks like it'll do the job....how will you fix it when it breaks...?" hehe As always, a bit of extra time filling in the 'short cuts' will make things easier down the road!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-11-22 22:58
    You can get some small wire-nuts.