Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfacing BASIC STAMP w/ a PC — Parallax Forums

Interfacing BASIC STAMP w/ a PC

CruxCrux Posts: 74
edited 2006-11-23 01:17 in BASIC Stamp
I need some advice about how to manipulate the serial port in order to retrieve data from a·BSII.
I need·guides for my project and Im a complete novice about·these stuffs.

I am expecting on resources on programming·windows API in manipulating serial ports and·likewise with the BS2.

Help·will be really appreciated.·

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-11-21 15:43
    Crux--

Have you looked at Parallax's Toothpick?

I wasn't quite sure after I read the complete Toothpick online documentation so I posted a topic called Toothpick and VB·and received a reply from Parallax's Chris Savage.

You might want to take a look at it.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • tj60647tj60647 Posts: 18
    edited 2006-11-21 18:18
    On the PC side, if you don't already have an IDE which makes this easy, you might consider using Microsoft Visual Studio Express [noparse][[/noparse]free].

This will enable you to use the SerialPort object in .NET 2.0.
    ///public SerialPort(string portName, int baudRate, Parity parity, int dataBits);

rs232com = new SerialPort(comport, baud, Parity.None, 8);

rs232com.Open();

rs232com.DataReceived += new SerialDataReceivedEventHandler(rs232com_DataReceived);

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-11-21 19:26
    I don't know what level you need for design, but our StampPlot Pro is a complete GUI/plotting interface. Pretty simple to design your own interface and all the serial COM stuff is done for you, and it's free for use for home/education. There are tutorials on the download page.

http://www.stampplot.com

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • CruxCrux Posts: 74
    edited 2006-11-22 05:48
    tj60647:

I am intrested by your info. I would like to know if what library did you use?

I am planning to implement a RFID project. Heres the logic:

e.g.·owner of Tag logs into the building then the PC checks his profile then·make a record for that day about him. BSII's work will be involved more on the opening and locking of the door. So its all about record tracking and security. In my own idea, I think I will not need eeproms or other stuffs to store ID numbers of the Tag. Its all gonna be in the computer. I just prefer to limit the records to reside in a computer and if hopefully it will work Ill be extending it to a database.

TAG --> READER --> BSII --> PC (Checks the Tag)

··· BSII(·Open door and lock·) <-- PC (Verify and send routine for BSII)

This info doesnt only goes to tj60647·but to anyone who would like to help.

Pls. help me on this one because I really need to make this project happen.

·
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-22 21:01
    This type of project seems to come up fairly regularly.

Do an advanced search at search.parallax.com, using keywords rfid & door, and forums.parallax.com for the domain.

You'll find several threads dealing with this.

Post Edited (Kevin Wood) : 11/22/2006 9:05:30 PM GMT
  • tj60647tj60647 Posts: 18
    edited 2006-11-23 01:17
    Assuming you are working with .NET 2.0, the SerialPort object namespace is "System.IO.Ports;".

A full example is given here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.ports.serialport.aspx