Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Checking an internet connection with a BS2 — Parallax Forums

Checking an internet connection with a BS2

t_j_walkert_j_walker Posts: 7
edited 2006-11-21 03:58 in BASIC Stamp
I have a cable modem, router, and VOIP router.· About three times a week my cable modem gets cranky (why I don't know and·neither does Comcast)·and needs to be reset.· I have even tried a different brand of cable modem with the same results.· When this happens, my telephone service is interrupted until I reset the cable modem, router, and VOIP router.

I was thinking of a project that would go out and check something on the internet every 5 minutes or so (like the time)·to see if the connection was still there and if·not then initiating a reset of the three devices.· Is there something less expensive than the PINK that I could use to interface with the web?· I really do not need everything that the PINK offers for this project.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-20 23:36
    Tim,

It's easy enough, with the right software, to do the checking from a PC that's always on. What may be more difficult is resetting those three devices. Can this be done through your network interface, or does it involve a physical button press or power cycling? Will your cable modem even respond to a client-side network command if it's hung up? I know mine won't. (It's a Motorola SurfBoard SB5100.)

However, you could plug all three devices into an X10-enabled wall socket and power cycle them from the computer that way.

-Phil
  • t_j_walkert_j_walker Posts: 7
    edited 2006-11-21 00:28
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Tim,

It's easy enough, with the right software, to do the checking from a PC that's always on. What may be more difficult is resetting those three devices. Can this be done through your network interface, or does it involve a physical button press or power cycling? Will your cable modem even respond to a client-side network command if it's hung up? I know mine won't. (It's a Motorola SurfBoard SB5100.)

However, you could plug all three devices into an X10-enabled wall socket and power cycle them from the computer that way.

-Phil
    Phil,

They need to be power cycled in order (cable modem, wireless router, and VOIP router).· I was going to use a Stamp (or maybe an SX28) with 3 solid state relays to do the resetting.· That is the easy part.· Checking the internet connection is the more difficult part at least for me.· I would rather not leave the computer on all the time.· I don't mind buying the PINK for myself as I have a few other projects bouncing around my head that it would be useful for, but a friend has the same problem and I was going to make one for him as well.· ~$200 is a little steep for this kind of gadget.· Also, I do not know of any way to reset the cable modem without cutting the power to it.· Any time I have called for tech support, they tell me to unplug it.

Thanks,
    Tim
    edited 2006-11-21 00:34
    Tim,

How about using phototransistors to monitor one or two of the status lights on the cable modem? Or are those not a reliable indicator?

-Phil
    edited 2006-11-21 01:01
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Tim,

How about using phototransistors to monitor one or two of the status lights on the cable modem? Or are those not a reliable indicator?

-Phil
    It's not a reliable indicator.· The online light is lit even though it is not working.· Great idea though.· I hadn't thought of anything like that.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-11-21 01:55
    Make a blind watchdog!
    Does it lockup more than once per day?
    Why not just connect the relays and have them reset at some early morning hour?

You mention you are not able to use your phone when this happens. Is it just the VOIP phone or do you have a landline that this also suffers?!

Can you slave a normal phone off you VOIP base setup? Could use a stamp and a modem to monitor for dialtone (honestly haven't played with a VOIP phone to know if that's set up the same!)
    I assume there's a way to connect a modem type of device to the VOIP phone (as I figure it's just using a different set of copper....dunno!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2006-11-21 03:18
    steve_b said...
    Make a blind watchdog!
    Does it lockup more than once per day?
    Why not just connect the relays and have them reset at some early morning hour?

You mention you are not able to use your phone when this happens. Is it just the VOIP phone or do you have a landline that this also suffers?!

Can you slave a normal phone off you VOIP base setup? Could use a stamp and a modem to monitor for dialtone (honestly haven't played with a VOIP phone to know if that's set up the same!)
    I assume there's a way to connect a modem type of device to the VOIP phone (as I figure it's just using a different set of copper....dunno!)

The VOIP works just like the regular landline.· My ReplayTV (like TIVO) calls in every night to update the TV listings.· We have no other land line so it is a little aggravating when it is down.· It locks up about 3 times a week, but it is usually when we are not at home.· We do have cell phones so it isn't a showstopper.

I like the idea of checking the dialtone with a modem.· I should be able to use an external model to check it.· The only problem I can see with that is if it checks while someone is on the phone it would end up cutting the off call because it would not detect the dial tone.· Will a modem detect the line being in use?

Thanks,
    Tim
    edited 2006-11-21 03:58
    t_j_walker said...
    It locks up about 3 times a week, but it is usually when we are not at home.

Well, hey, an ounce of prevention... You just need a warm mannekin that moves a little and gives off CO2 in the same room as the modem. That way it'll think someone is always at home. smile.gif

-Phil