Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra prototype #2 give away!!! — Parallax Forums

Hydra prototype #2 give away!!!

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2006-11-20 21:42 in Propeller 1
jumpin.gif·To launch the HYDRA off this week, I am going to give away PROTOTYPE number 2 of the HYDRA final production hardware, hand built by me (black and chrome, looks slick). I am keeping #1 for myself [noparse]:)[/noparse]·The person I give the unit away to basically has to promise to make something incredible for the HYDRA, primarily I am looking for interactive mode languages like BASIC, LOGO, etc. and maybe leverage my single cog graphics engine etc. so that people can just plug the hydra into the TV and play with it with the keyboard, PC free.

So anyone interested in a getting the unit for their collection and doing something on the HYDRA that blows us all away, send me an email and tell me why I should give you prototype #2, I will select a winner by the end of the month and post a synopsis of what he (or she) plans to do on the HYDRA on December 1st, so we can all count the minutes!· I don't care if you live in catmandu,· I will send the unit to you free of charge! And extra points if you use all 128K of eeprom memory in some fashion to store programs for example as people write code on the system.

My email is ceo@nurve.net.

Of course, I will send just the HYDRA itself, you will have to supply cables, power supply, etc. But, I should be able to throw in a 128K card as well.

Finally, those people that already have eval units and or demo coders from the original project, you already have·a free unit, so this is only for parallax board members.

Andre'

Comments

• PVJohnPVJohn Posts: 60
    edited 2006-11-20 07:44
    How does it look, and how it's different from ver 1? Can you post some pics so that we can see what are we "fighting" for?

PVJohn
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-20 09:07
    #2 as in the second one I built by hand. It looks exactly like the hydra on the sales page. Just that it was the second one to "live" then the production models are copies of it. Get it? Like when Ford makes a car, there is #1, #2, #3, etc. off the assembly line. This is #2 of the hand made prototypes of the final production unit.

Andre'
  • The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
    edited 2006-11-20 18:37
    Well, this could be interesting.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-11-20 18:49
    Hey I'd like to have a model #2.
    But all I'm writing is audio engines and music trackers/players for the thing. (lol)
    Does a Hydra demoscene count as something cool? *smiles*
    edited 2006-11-20 20:29
    We already have so much code and tools, those things are cool and hopefully people make lots more, but for the coveted protype, I am looking for someone that is going to make something really substantial or port something of size in the languages arena, so others can use the HYDRA without the PC and just write games. Of course TEAM projects are welcome to, but I can only send the prototype to one person. I just want to make sure something gets done, that's the most important thing that the person that gets it really finishes something for it [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2006-11-20 20:49
    For the last couple of days I have been reading the posts for the Hydra, and I was trying to think of something that would really unique. I do not know if the Hydra could do the following, a graphic realtime robot movement·simulator/programer. I think the Hydra is short of some things like sd/mmc, to name one. My idea would be to possibly add a bluetooth module to the Hydra, and one to the robot for comm between the two. On the Hydra have a simple method, maybe tinybasic, to write some code that would povide some scripted movement for the robot. This is just a very short description, I just started with the propeller, so this idea maybe well beyond the capabilities of the Hydra, at this stage of development.

Ray
    edited 2006-11-20 20:59
    Well, I would scale that down and just say write a LOGO with a robot metaphor rather than turtle. And just use the HYDRA's 128K EEPROM for program storage, that's 96K of storage. Have you written languages and compiler before?

andre'
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2006-11-20 21:42
    No the closest I got was writting a small, and I mean small OS. I was going to use a PC104 for my robot, that way I could write some robot script within my command line interactive mode. After I looked into it, real mode was getting way to crowded, and I would have to get into PM, and that just scared·the living day lights out of me. What I am thinking with the Hydra is start out real small, maybe create some neat graphics , before it goes into a graphic/command line·interactive(CLI) mode, then maybe in the gragphic command line be able to write some scipted code to have the robot do some movement, then maybe have a roaming mode where a grahics mode/screen shows in real time the movement of the robot. I think I could accomplish a rudimentary CLI using the spin interpreter. I better lay down for a bit LOL.