Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Capabilities — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Capabilities

Cru3lV3nmCru3lV3nm Posts: 2
edited 2006-11-20 18:30 in BASIC Stamp
Im looking to get heavily involved in Basic Stamp to use over USB interface...

i was wondering if people have made C programs or background processes that will input variables to the stamp board...
but also output data to XML/txt/whatever kind of loggable data?

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-19 22:56
    It's fairly easy to communicate with the Basic Stamp, as long as you can do serial comms with your programming language of choice. In the BS2 PBasic code, you would use SERIN to receive serial data from the PC, and SEROUT to send serial data to the PC.

If you are interested in data logging, and aren't trying to write your own program, check out StampPlot Pro by SelmaWare.

If you are interested in writing your own program, you have many options, depending on your programming tools and operating system.

The more info you give about your project & computing environment, the easier it will be to point you in the right direction.
  • Cru3lV3nmCru3lV3nm Posts: 2
    edited 2006-11-20 17:35
    Ah Kevin thanks for you help, i would never expect a community of robotic/electronic engineers to pay attention at all!

Basically the stamp gadget is going to somewhat of a temperature monitor with with several buttons
    that freeze the current temp reading, get the lowest temp range during the time of the polling, as well as the highest temp
    reading.

Now i would like to interface·via USB·a Windows2000/XP/CE/Mobile device·where in the software the user
    could do emulate what is going on in the gadget, but be able to save these 3 basic inputs recieved
    from the temp gauge by date... and call it back later in the program at any time..

Get current/high/low - Save it by name/time/date - Call it up later within the program..

Now, is there a possibility in StampPlot to run as a host-background process where it is constantly
    polling the data recieved into a log format i can specify?

Post Edited (Cru3lV3nm) : 11/20/2006 5:40:59 PM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-11-20 18:25
    You can set the stamp to send the temperature to the pc at selected intervals and do what ever you want with it in your program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-20 18:30
    I don't know if StamPlot has a default configuration to do exactly what you want. It is highly customizable, however. The best thing you could do is try it out and see if it meets your needs:

www.selmaware.com/stampplot/home.htm

You can use it free for hobby use, and it's very affordable for commercial use. You can also send Martin Hebel, the developer, an email with any questions you may have about it. He is active on these forums, so you may find a response from him anyways.

If StampPlot Pro doesn't meet your needs, you have other options, depending on your budget, time constraints, and experience.

Also, so you don't feel awkward posting your questions, there are far more hobbyists posting here than engineers, but even the engineers are friendly and helpful.