Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting Emdedded Blue to Stampe 2pe Motherboard — Parallax Forums

Connecting Emdedded Blue to Stampe 2pe Motherboard

Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
edited 2006-11-17 23:48 in BASIC Stamp
I have the Emdedded Blue [noparse][[/noparse]eb500], bluetooth·transcever, and want to connect it to the Stamp 2pe motherboard using the I/O Daughterboard.· The instructions for the eb500 only show its connections to other prototyping boards.

I imagine there are a number of ways to connect, since the·Stamp ports can be used in various ways.· But, of·course, I want to connect the same way that the sample programs on the eb500·manual expect it to be connected.··I've tried to figgure it out, but am having a hard time, and want to be careful I don't damage anything as I am learning this stuff.

Can someone from Parallax please provide a guid on how to do this?· A pin-to-pin list perhaps?

Joe Dunfee

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-17 15:42
    Joe,
    ·
    ·· The information is available in the documentation on our website.· Page 137 of the EB500 Manual shows which pins connect to what functions.· If you open the Specifications to Page 2 you can see which pins are assign to which pins of the BASIC Stamp and AppMod header.· Bear in mind that the pin layout diagram is from the bottom view.· This confuses some people.· These files can be found at the following link.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30068

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-17 18:43
    I had reviewed page 137's pin chart, but I was uncertain if the column labeled "Parallax Pin" refers to the Pins of the Basic Stamp, or the pins for one of the development boards.

I am assuming that all the development boards with the .1" headers have the same pin-out, and have attempted to make a comparison to the pins on the BS2pe Motherboard and daugherboard.·· But, I now think the daughterboard was a poor choice.· With the compatable connectors coming for the motherboard, I will just connect directly from the Bluetooth module to the motherboard.

I see on the motherboard's specs the pinout and connection labels in picture #1 below;

Do the pins labled with a "p" equate to pins on the Stamp 2pe listed below?
    1 SOUT -Serial Out:
    2 SIN -Serial In:
    3 ATN - Attention:
    4 VSS - System ground: (same as pin 23),
    5-20 P0-P15 - General-purpose I/O pins:
    21 VDD - 5-volt DC input/output:
    22 RES - Reset input/output:
    23 VSS - System ground: (same as pin 4)
    24 VIN - Unregulated power in: accepts 5.5 - 12 VDC
    Thank You,
    Joe Dunfee
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-11-17 18:55
    Yes. "P0-P15" means, in the PBasic environment.

As in, if you wanted to make physical pin 5 (P0) go high, you'd use

HIGH 0 ' Make PBasic pin zero high (physical pin 5)
  • Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-17 21:48
    Thanks for the help, I am slowly muddling through it.

I probably should haven't started with the BS2pe motherboard at all... it is a new product, and hasn't been tested on as many novices like me with all the helpful "for dummies" directions created yet.

Joe Dunfee
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-17 22:04
    Joe,

The standard connection for the Embedded Blue uses P0-P3, P5, and P6, with P2 and P3 being optional for hardware handshaking. On the MoBoStamp-pe, P6 isn't brought out to a daughterboard connector, and P2 and P3 are common to both daughterboard connectors. So, at the very least, you will have to alter the program code to get it to work. Also, if you're powering the MoBoStamp from the daughterboard, it has to be plugged into socket "A", which provides P8, P9, P11/A2, P12/A3, along with A0 and A1 from the AVR coprocessor, and P2 and P3, which are common to both daughtercard sockets.

My recommendation, if you don't need handshaking, would be to connect as follows:

P8 - TX
    P9 - RX
    P11/A2 - Status
    P12/A3 - Mode

If you do need handshaking, use this (since P2 and P3 are not brought out to the PWR-I/O-DB header):

P8 - TX
    P9 - RX
    P11/A2 - RTS
    P12/A3 - CTS
    A0 - Status
    A1 - Mode

You will need to access A0 and A1 through the AVR firmware (which the GPIO3 manual explains how to do), since they don't connect directly to the BASIC Stamp. Also, very important, make sure Vdd on the MoBoStamp board is jumpered to 5V.

-Phil
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-17 23:48
    Phil brings up an interesting point.· When the EB500 plugs into an AppMod Socket it uses specific pins, therefore the code must use those pins.· However, in your case, since you’re making your own cable, you whatever pins you have available from the MOBO.· You just need to make sure your code uses the pins you chose, rather than those suggested in the example codes or EB500 documentation.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support