Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PCB etch kit? — Parallax Forums

PCB etch kit?

LSBLSB Posts: 175
edited 2006-11-20 17:46 in General Discussion
Ok... I surrender. I just can't find protoboards that suit my needs; I'm ready to start making my own. I know its a pain to do, but I just can't justify $40 or $50 for 'one ofs'. Any recommendations for DIY kits? I have a laser printer (I think, it's been years since I plugged it in), a good Inkjet, access to an iron--what's best? what's easiest, what gives most consistant results?

I've read plenty on the internet--either written by the marketing department, or by people who (it seems) would rather make circuit boards than complete projects. Who sells? What should I look for? I don't mind spending on solid equipment.

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-16 06:38
    $40-50?

www.batchpcb.com has $10 + $2.50/sq in, and the $10 is for each order, not each board. The price also includes top and bottom solder resist and top and bottom silkscreen, something you wont get from homemade boards.

Others have hade success with the toner transfer method, and will likely share the systems they found work best with you shortly, but I've never bothered with it since there is inexpensive professional services out there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • SteveDSteveD Posts: 64
    edited 2006-11-20 13:43
    Paul,
    This sounds like a very good option. I am curious though if the freeware version is sufficient for having boards made? My guess is that it is based on what I read on their web site. I would like to try it before I registered the software because I don't have much experience with the software or even having boards made. I realize it is inexpensive enough but it could still turn out to be a waste for someone like me.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2006-11-20 16:01
    Paul,
    I think that your suggestion has great merit, the price is right and probably the wait time is less than me trying to get it all together and get my hands dirty with all the goop required to DIY. I have never been particularly happy with the grade of software that is required (Eagle is way too complicated for me), but have used the FreePCB software and been very satisfied--this weekend I bumped into DipTrace (I have no affiliation) and was pleased to find that it does everything I need, and in the same easy to use format as the kindergarten programs I'm best at--virtually guaranteeing that I will upgrade from the free trial version and use batchpcb as my primary source.
    Thanks for the tip-- far as I'm concerned this thread is dead!
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-11-20 17:46
    LSB,

I've used the transfer method ( the proper thermal laminator is definitely worth it) for prototype boards with acceptable success.

But, ExpressPCB has free software for the schematic, free software for the PCB layout, integrated real-time pricing and "one-click" ordering. I recently got 10 double-sided, masked, silk-screened boards done in less than a week from start to finish. Each board was about 30 sq. inches. Total price, less than $400 sitting on my doorstep.

I don't work for ExpressPCB!!

Cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·