Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Has anyone used a serial modem to update? — Parallax Forums

Has anyone used a serial modem to update?

Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
edited 2006-11-16 14:47 in General Discussion
A website?

I want to send data via a serial modem and update a web database.· Has anyone done this and what approach do i need to take?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-11-16 14:01
    I don't think it can be done in the sense of the stamp replacing the PC (where the PC would connect to the Net via a modem).
    The PC has to do some TCP/IP handling and the typical ISP won't give out free Net access to a port that doesn't have an associated IP address (as your stamp won't be able to handle).

Maybe the new Propellor can work some magic, but for the most part no.
    However, if you want to update a webpage, there are other ways. If you have a PC that's always on the net, you can simply serial your data to your PC (saved to a file) that would then fire that file to a folder on your web server.
    There's also the PINK adaptor. You could have this guy somewhere with Net connectivity and dial in to IT and update your data and the PINK would ask as your webserver.

Kinda depends what flavour you're after in the end!

cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-11-16 14:47
    Here is a $8.00 solution , a mega88 programmed to interface with the web. Actually the kit with all the parts is about 20 bucks U.S.

http://shop.tuxgraphics.org/electronic/eth.html?id=238e52

kit:
    http://shop.tuxgraphics.org/electronic/eth.html?id=238e52

I am going to order one to see how it works.

Perhaps I won't order this after reading it abit more, it's pretty involved but there is some good information on how it is done if you poke around the site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Think outside the BOX!

Post Edited (metron9) : 11/16/2006 3:01:35 PM GMT