Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propstick USB — Parallax Forums

Propstick USB

JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
edited 2006-11-18 01:13 in Propeller 1
All,

I see the prop-stick USB has been released.· Very cool.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32210

Question - I assume that·as the FTDI chip is powered from the USB hub, when its not connected it has no effect on P30 and P31?

James

Comments

• JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-11-17 10:45
    Anybody?
  • Cliff L. BiffleCliff L. Biffle Posts: 206
    edited 2006-11-17 18:42
    Can't speak to the PSUSB specifically, but I use the same chip for the console adapter in one of my bots. In the normal FTDI reference design, it doesn't muck around with your IO pins if it doesn't have USB.

So assuming Parallax didn't do anything particularly weird, it oughtta be fine.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-11-17 18:47
    Thanks Cliff.
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2006-11-17 19:18
    Awesome product, but the manual leaves a little bit to be desired...
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-17 21:11
    What about the manual failed your expectations Burgamot?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-11-18 00:28
    Paul, I was wondering if a Propstick for propclip had ever been considered, this format suits my needs very well but it would make more sense for me to have just the one USB interface for all of them, I'm guessing the price would be quite a bit lower. Perhaps I'm the only one who would be interested in such a thing. Anyway I've ordered one today and now I'm broke [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Graham
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-18 01:13
    There were two main reasons for developing the PropStick USB, a pre-assembled version and onboard USB. Theres not much likelyhood of developing a pre-assembled non-USB PropStick. The Propeller ProtoBoard is the product targeting low cost development and will require an external programming interface. Believe it or not, making a product which is brought out into a DIP format substantially raises the production cost of the product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.