agfaagfa Posts: 295
edited 2006-11-17 03:41 in BASIC Stamp

Post Edited (agfa) : 2/13/2007 2:24:10 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-15 21:56
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· It seems somehow your file associations have been altered.· As for the Help File, open it from the Start Menu shortcut, rather than from within the Editor.· This should stop the freezing up.· A Microsoft Security update seems to be the cause of this issue.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-16 01:26
    The Microsoft Security update was in regards to the Help File issue and affects certain CHM files.· The other issue was one cause by changing the file associations and was not related to the other.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-16 05:00
    Microsoft has a knowledge base article relating to this.· A quick search of their site reveals the following...I hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-16 12:10
    I've had problems that may be related. I am running teh Basic Stamp Editor v2.6 on Windows XP (fully updated). When ever I use the help and then the index, or search function, the program locks up as soon as I click in the search field.

The contents part of the help file work fine.

Joe Dunfee
    edited 2006-11-16 15:38
    Joe,
    ·
    ·· Please see my reply above for how to get around this, or the link above for possible work-arounds.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-16 17:17
    chris, the web page you refered me to was not exactly my problem, but I did try the fix suggested on the pbasic.chm file.

In the Open File-Security Warning dialog box, click to clear the Always ask before opening this file check box.

But, my properties didn't show this option, even in the "advanced" portion of the properties.· I also tried the method of double-clicking, but it opened normally without a warning dialog box.

However, the help file opens fine and the search and index functions work properly!· I tried it again from within the Pbasic editor, but have the same problem.· I guess the work around is to not open it from within the Pbasic editor.

Joe Dunfee
  • RonRon Posts: 1
    edited 2006-11-17 03:41
    I am having the same problems. The help locks up and after I have saved a program I end up having to search for it. I am using XP and it is up to date. I have not tried the work around yet.
    Thanks,

Ron