Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Building an 8.4v Ni-Mh Charger — Parallax Forums

Building an 8.4v Ni-Mh Charger

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2006-11-15 19:31 in General Discussion
Hey Everyone,
I have·3 8.4v Ni-Mh battery packs (2500 mAh "AA" size) that I need to charge.· I would like to build a charger that will do all 3 at the same time, about 400-500 mA each.· Does anyone have a schmatic for something like this?· If not, how about just the general theory of how a charger like this would work?

Thanks,
crgwbr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
NerdMaster
For
Life

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-11-15 03:39
    Hi crgwbr, this link actually mentions charging NiMH 8.4v .

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/power/037/index.html

Jeff T.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-15 13:44
    The only problem with series charging of Ni-Mh is if one cell suffers a reverse polarity. It will certainly die. I suspect that is why the commercial chargers are in parallel with fool proof connections. Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd are more sensitive to this mishandling than other batteries.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-11-15 17:02
    These batteries will be in Shrinkrapped Packs, With connecters that will only plug in on way, I'd call that fool proof.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-11-15 17:30
    crgwbr,
    I think what Kramer was referring to is the "ability" of a Ni-Mh cell to spontaneously change polarity when fairly deeply discharged. This behavior is due to the electrochemical make-up of the cell and is well-documented. It is not overly common, but when it happens, it can cause "interesting" (and sometimes difficult to diagnose) displays/problems. Imagine if one of the "middle" cells in your pack just decided to act like it was reversed...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-11-15 19:31
    Wow, I didn't know they could do that. I guess I could just make sure I don't discharge them very deeply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life