Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connector Specs? — Parallax Forums

Connector Specs?

Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
edited 2006-11-16 05:22 in BASIC Stamp
I've just recieved shipment of the Basic Stamp 2pe Motherboard with the Power I/O Daughter board, and the Embeded Blue Transcever.

I had hoped that they might all connect together, but they don't.· So, I'm headed out to the electronics store to·get the right connectors to wire them up, but there are no part numbers for them.· I see that the Power I/O daughter board says on the specs that·it has .1" spacing for the header on the top... is this all I need to tell the guy at the electronics shop?

Also, the smaller connectors underneath the Daughter board for connecting with the motherboard... what are they?· They seem to have the same spacing as the ones on the Bluetooth transcever, but are smaller gague.

Thank You,

Joe Dunfee

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-11-14 19:07
    I recommend taking the modules with you to the electronic store to ensure the correct fit of the sockets.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-14 19:55
    Joe,

The 2x6-pin MB/DB connectors are Hirose DF11s, and they have a 2mm pitch. You can get mating connectors from DigiKey. Here are the part numbers:

··Socket (PCB): H10172-ND
    ··Header (PCB): H10233-ND
    ··Socket Housing (Crimp): H2024-ND
    ··Plug Housing (Crimp): H2917-ND
    ··Double-ended plug (Adapter): H2932-ND

For the crimp housings, you can buy the wire crimps separately, but I don't recommend it. 'Better to let DigiKey crimp the wires for you. They're expensive, but you get a professional job. To find the right wire, search DigiKey for "DF11", then click "Jumpers".

Hint: If you only need crimps on one end, buy double-length wires with crimps on both ends, and cut them in half. They're a lot cheaper that way.

Also, I'm working on a SIP adapter that will work with a daughterboard and a premade 6" jumper cable. Hopefully, they'll be available soon.

Finally, a wire-and-plug set for the MoBoStamp's power connector is now available from Parallax here.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 11/14/2006 8:35:53 PM GMT
  • Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-14 21:48
    Thank you both for the information. I had found some of the information, but of course, the ones without the Digikey numbers don't come up exactly, and struggled with their part catalog for almost 2 hours.

The Jumpers were especially helpful.

Regarding the header pins on the Bluetooth modula. I purchased some servo motor wires and plugs from a local hobby store - I can't find them at Digikey. For the "standard servo connector" it sure is hard to find what exactly that standard is. It will take 10 of these at $2 each to connect to the bluetooth module, and since I am using 3-pin plugs, there will be a very large tangle of wires. There has got to be a better way.

Joe Dunfee
    edited 2006-11-15 03:24
    Joe,

There is a better way. Buy double-length, double-male jumpers from DigiKey, along with the plug housing mentioned above. Also buy the following:

1 ea. A25922-ND 2x10 socket housing
    20 ea. A28328-ND socket crimps

The 2x10 socket housing is what you'll plug your AppMod card into. Cut the wire jumpers in half, then strip the bare ends and crimp the socket crimps on. You'll need a crimping tool from Radio Shack (p/n 276-1595) for this, if you don't already have one. Then decide which MB pins will connect to which AppMod pins, and populate your crimp housings accordingly. (the crimps will just snap in.) Be sure to mark the AppMod connector shell with the "Vss" and "Vdd" ends so you don't plug your BlueTooth card in backwards! Also, plug your newly-made adapter into the motherboard (without the BlueTooth card) and power it up. Then, using a voltmeter, make sure you've connected everything right.

Eventually, I hope to have an AppMod adapter daughtercard. But this arrangement will work fine in the meantime.

Good luck!
    Phil
  • Joe DunfeeJoe Dunfee Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-15 04:21
    I had actually placed an order a few hours ago, before I saw your message.· I probably spent 3 hours going over their web page trying to find something that looked like it might work.· I ended up just ordering something that didn't really look right, but I just needed to get the order up a few more dollars to the $25, to save the $5 additional charge.

One thing still puzzled me... the pricing on the crimp pin connectors.· On the web site, they seem to cost $1.33 each with a minimum order of 10.· Is that correct? See the picture attached for what is shown on their web site.

Thanks for the details, I will definitely plan on including them on my next order to DigiKey.

Joe Dunfee
    edited 2006-11-15 04:43
    No, they're ten for $1.33. And ten would probably be enough. But I always screw up a certain fraction of my crimps and like to have extras.

-Phil
  • KovaKova Posts: 12
    edited 2006-11-16 05:22
    Not sure, but maybe this can be used as AppMod header:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73635

1-534998-0.jpg

Maybe somebody from Parallax can confirm this for us.

Thanks
    662 x 177 - 9K