Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Storing eeprom images on SD for loading into the prop's ram — Parallax Forums

Storing eeprom images on SD for loading into the prop's ram

sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
edited 2006-12-08 15:30 in Propeller 1
Probably didn't word that well, but I'm wondering how possible it is to take a .eeprom "image" from the ide and store it on an SD card... then write a program that reads that .eeprom file from the SD card and writes it the eeprom and reboots the prop to run that program.....·

I know there's plenty of discussion around here about how to get bigger apps than the prop can handle to run, etc...· Which isn't really what I'm interested in.· I know there has also been talk about the loader app, and so on...· I'm just wondering if it's possible and worth my time to store a bunch of those files on an SD card so I can load them up whenever I feel like it.· (Sort of the way you can on a gameboy memory cart).·

Or am I wasting everyone's time and totally missed the point of the previous posts?· But I really don't remember any talk of storing the programs as .eeprom files on a medium like SD, etc...

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2006-11-14 01:52
    I think Mike's Propeller OS supports SD/MMC cards... and I know I will be looking into the issue, as I've bought a bunch of small SD cards for the purpose [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2006-11-14 01:58
    Hello All
    then write a program that reads that .eeprom file from the SD card and writes it the eeprom and reboots the prop to run that program..... said...

Yes is correct.
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-11-14 02:00
    Nothing against Mike's work, but that's not quite the direction I'd like to go. Simple and small would be better in this case.
  • Cliff L. BiffleCliff L. Biffle Posts: 206
    edited 2006-11-14 02:09
    Another forum member and I are looking at writing an SD bootloader -- a very simple EEPROM-resident program that would allow you to pick an image file from an SD card, transfer it to RAM, and boot it. That's it -- no frills, no drivers, just a bootloader.

There're two main issues here:
    1. We haven't actually written any code. smile.gif My SD hardware should get here later this week, at which point I start hacking.
    2. We're not sure how to boot Spin images from an assembly program. This is fine for me -- I'm interested in booting Forth images, primarily -- but not for sane people. We'd need the entry point for the SPIN interpreter, since the standard bootstrap sequence (which I can trigger) erases RAM -- but Parallax (arguably with good reason) isn't documenting this info.

So, if someone else beats me to it, marvelous -- I'll use theirs instead! Otherwise, I may have something together next week.
    edited 2006-11-14 02:18
    Sounds like we are on similar paths. I have the SD reader from comfile, it reads fat formatted cards with some simple serial commands. I'd like to read the .eeprom files and stuff them either into ram, or even overwrite the eeprom if that's easier.

I haven't written code either as of yet.. Just in a discovery process currently..
    If I overwrite the eeprom with the file, and reboot the prop.. Am I wrong in making the assumption it'll boot as normal?
    I would like to just stuff it into ram if possible, make reloading new images a lot easier.. =)
    edited 2006-11-14 02:28
    I've ordered the DOSonCHIP module, which is similar.
    sharpie said...
    If I overwrite the eeprom with the file, and reboot the prop.. Am I wrong in making the assumption it'll boot as normal?

Should work, yes.
    sharpie said...
    I would like to just stuff it into ram if possible, make reloading new images a lot easier.. =)

That's what I'm hoping to do -- which is trivial with propasm binaries, because I know how they're laid out. The trick with Spin binaries will be figuring out how to invoke the interpreter once the binary's in RAM.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-11-14 03:48
    The OS_loaderInit object that's part of the Propeller OS is usable all by itself to read/write/load from I2C EEPROMs. It sits in a cog so that it can load all of HUB RAM if necessary. It normally transfers control after loading to the SPIN interpreter, but you can strip out that code. Reading from SPI is different and reading from most MMC/SD cards usually involves navigating the FAT file system ... not a trivial task.
    edited 2006-11-14 05:41
    Using the DOSonCHIP makes navigating and using it a lot easier =)
    Does the OS_loaderInit object read the .eeprom files saved from the propeller tool?
    Isn't there a way to just take the binary file from the propeller tool and shove it into the eeprom(using the i2c object), and reset the prop so it'll boot the new code?

I probably should do some more reading in this area(understatement). It just seems that it'd be nice to be able to write a program in the ide, store the .eeprom file on an SD card and be able to call it up in the field sans PC. If you've got a 1gb SD card, that's a whole lot of 32k .eeprom files to choose from.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-11-14 05:54
    sharpie,
    Download the Propeller OS: <http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=154815>. There's a Quick Start Guide and the beginnings of a manual that will explain how to download from the Propeller Tool, then store the downloaded program to some other place in EEPROM. The OS_loaderInit routine takes a starting address in EEPROM (usually a multiple of 32K) and a length, then reads the whole thing into a specified area of HUB RAM (usually starting at zero). After loading, it starts up the SPIN interpreter on what was just loaded. There are other routines in the OS that can lookup a file name (stored in the last 16 bytes of each 32K area) in order to pass its address to the loader.
    Mike
  • nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2006-11-14 09:32
    Attila has build (and sells) a demoboard clone with on-board SPI flash memory. He has written a loader program (FOS) using TV and mouse, that can copy a selected 32KByte EEPROM images from flash to RAM and then boots from RAM. Filling the flash is done by concatenating the required EEPROM images on a PC, and transferring the final flash image to his demoboard using a PC terminal program. See this thread http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=135261&g=142333#m142333

Nico Hattink
    edited 2006-11-14 16:26
    Excellent! Attila's bootloader is nice work, and contains the entry point information I need. Mwa ha ha.
  • WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
    edited 2006-12-06 20:38
    Hmm! My application would simply need to download some data from the SD into an area of Prop Ram to be read as data on the fly as needed.

The·data set would·be 400 bytes in length. There might be 50 to 1000 of these data sets of identical length in the SD. I would need to load·only 1·set at a time·into Prop RAM (speed for the download/upload not an issue < 10 seconds would be fine).

Is it possible to do this without a full blown FAT32 file structure. I have 2 Cogs free right now and this would be a nice feature.

Thanks,

Craig
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-12-06 21:39
    Sure, the short and simple SD reader I posted some time ago should work fine.

I have some updates to it, so let me know if you end up using it. (Minor defect fixes.)

I am currently building a whole suite of SD support programs that are tailored to particular requirements.
    I've got read-only and read/write versions. I've got versions entirely in Spin that are slow, and
    a version with a small amount of assembly for brevity that is quite fast, and another version with
    more assembly that is even faster.

This is the thread with the code:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=126973
    edited 2006-12-07 00:29
    I've been trying to get my DOSonChip module to work, anyone have luck with this? I can't seem to get any sort of responce from it at all.. I've tried lot's of things, including using rts/cts... The datasheet that comes with it doesn't really dive into handshaking or anything.. I don't even get a garbled (unmatched baudrate) return.. Just nothing. Check and double checked my connections, etc...

Anyone have some insight into what I mgiht be doing wrong?
    Right now I'm just trying to get the autobaud to work and display the version number.....

s.str(string(13))
        WaitCnt(500_000 + Cnt)  
        s.str(string(13))
        WaitCnt(500_000 + Cnt)  
        s.str(string("v"))  
        WaitCnt(500_000 + Cnt)  
        s.str(string(13))  

Tried lot's of iterations of the above, and just ended up with this to keep it simple...· I just put the waits in there to make sure it got everything..· I tried a bunch of way more elaborate stuff too..·

Any help is appreciated.

Post Edited (sharpie) : 12/7/2006 12:33:20 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-07 08:03
    I love the idea. I may try to use Bean's SDcard datalogger to do this.

The trick with it is that it is an RS-232 interface - somewhat like the DOSonChip.
    I also see that the IDE uses an RS-232 to initiate a Reset via DTR [noparse][[/noparse]not really an rst/cts]
    That seems to be a key to properly start the download.

And from there, it would have to emulate the download from the IDE to Propeller as a DOS file.

Can anyone tell me how that might be done? Just a read file command and a reset trigger [noparse][[/noparse]maybe I could have a BasicStamp do this AND select which file from the SDcard].· There appears to·be a 50ms resonse delay to account for.

It certainly would seem to be more compatible to save a DOS file image to the SDcard that EEPROMs.
    Then have the SDcard file be presented seamlessly to the Propeller without using additional pins or EEPROMS [noparse][[/noparse] I2C or SPI].

NEED TO KNOW THE CORRECT BAYD RATE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 12/7/2006 12:48:18 PM GMT
  • WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
    edited 2006-12-08 15:30
    Super! Thanks Rokicki! This opens a lot of doors for my application.
    rokicki said...
    Sure, the short and simple SD reader I posted some time ago should work fine.

I have some updates to it, so let me know if you end up using it. (Minor defect fixes.)

I am currently building a whole suite of SD support programs that are tailored to particular requirements.
    I've got read-only and read/write versions. I've got versions entirely in Spin that are slow, and
    a version with a small amount of assembly for brevity that is quite fast, and another version with
    more assembly that is even faster.

This is the thread with the code:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=126973