Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
12Volt Circuit revise to 6 Volts Can it be done? — Parallax Forums

12Volt Circuit revise to 6 Volts Can it be done?

metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
edited 2006-11-15 18:41 in General Discussion
I have a friend that repairs guages. He uses a circuit board (attached schematic) to drive the Tach. The problem is, he wants to use these boards in a 6V battery operated car (old cars)

The solution he has now is to use a DC-DC converter to increase the voltage to 12V

http://www.v-infinity.com/pdffiles/PK1.5_D5-S12.pdf

The above part is 11.83 each in 100 min qty. He will be using 500 per year or so.

Can this circuit be redesigned to make it much smaller, run on 6V without the above solution.

I see it really only uses 9.1V as the zener regulates the 12 to 9.1

He would like to buy the circuit boards and solder the parts in house.

any other information you need I can get.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
Think outside the BOX!
2639 x 2155 - 133K
tach.png 132.9K

Comments

• terahertzterahertz Posts: 55
    edited 2006-11-14 02:39
    So your friend wants some free engineering work for a commercial application?

I'll ask around tongue.gif
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-11-14 03:03
    Yes please do ask around but don't give any secrets away for free, a simple fix would perhaps be worth 500 bucks or more to him so if you have a solution put a price on it and let me know.

I'm just going to give it a go and redesign it with a tiny13 and fast pwm for a simple $3.00 dollar board that will run 6 or 12v systems and junk the board that comes with the gauge. That's my solution unless it gets shot down for some reason.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Jim RicheyJim Richey Posts: 82
    edited 2006-11-14 22:28
    Hey Metron,I wonder if the meter he is using will be completely out of range at a
    much lower supply voltage.Makes it appear that just because of that.the solution is to run it with the dc/dc converter to up the supply to the meter's design range.But also the pulses being read from the coil will be out of range at 6 volts versus 12 which might be corrected by changing R5,R9.andR10.
    LOL . Jim Richey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks, Parallax!
    edited 2006-11-15 04:10
    Thanks Jim, Here is a picture of the inside of the gauge. It takes 24ma to drive it too its maximum 8000 reading.
    I just don't have a clue yet how this circuit works, I imagine it is similar to PWM in that the pulses that come in translate to a current to drive the meter There are too many components to put it in the java circuit simulator, I wish there was a larger version of that where it shows the current flowing through the parts.

Added some more information I got on the gauge

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!

Post Edited (metron9) : 11/15/2006 4:29:24 AM GMT
    640 x 480 - 59K
    640 x 480 - 57K
    640 x 480 - 60K
  • Jim RicheyJim Richey Posts: 82
    edited 2006-11-15 17:38
    Metron-After studying the circuit, I believe it's almost beyond human comprehension!
    Rather than trying to modify it's operation,it might be more feasable to work out your own version of a frequency to voltage converter to power the existing meter It wouldn't hurt to "modernize" it with solid state components .Let us know how it works out,I'm curious.

Jim Richey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks, Parallax!
    edited 2006-11-15 17:56
    Yes actually I have a tiny13 uC rigged up with fastpwm at 9.6 mhz internal oscillator, it is moving the pointer on the gauge from 0 to 8000 back and forth with 255 steps of resolution. I just have to toss in some tables and a frequency counter input on one pin and a jumper to select 4,6 or 8 cylinder and it's done. I dont have the specs on all of the different tach outputs from various manufactures so I may use a 5v zener and resistor on the input pin to make sure there are no high voltage spikes that can blow up the processor. The guy said they once used 555 timers in a circuit but they blew up after a while, I imagine their circuit had no protection in any form.

I would be open to ideas on protection for the input of the tachometer line since I don't have any specs on it. Testing his MSD output tach output, something one of his other guys rigged up that has a auto coil and simulates 4,6 and 8 cylinder output measures 3.5 V average voltage on its output but I don't know how much noise it has. I am just going to set a demo up and let it run on that device to see what I get. tinys are less than a buck and I have quite a few of them. I hthink I can just use its internal oscillator as the average error will not effect the gauge output by more than the variable frequency going in at any moment under driving conditions. I plan to average the input frequency and move the meter gradually twards the position it should be.

I am glad you think its beyond human comprehension, as i cant make any sense of it at all. If I lump it to a simple input output black box, I think it just works like a PWM and a simple circuit to do that seems like a simple task. I may play with that idea if I run into trouble with any of the frequency counting aspects of the microprocessor design.

The chart for RPM, 4,6 and 8 cylinder is attached, change the extension to XLS and load in excell

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!

Post Edited (metron9) : 11/15/2006 6:05:01 PM GMT
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-11-15 18:41
    Hi metron, the circuit seems more current dependent than voltage, the max voltage at the base of Q1 is less than 3v with current limited to less than 1mA, you can achieve the same values from 6v if you halve the values of R5,R9 and R10 in fact if you halve the values of all the resistance and replace the 9.1 v zener with 4.5v regulation (may need to be a little higher) then you might be somewhere near the mark.Trying different values of R11,R2,R3 and R4 would be the way to calibrate. This·might·or·might not work it would take a lot of trial and error·but you may think·its worth trying.

Jeff T.