Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Graphics Programming for Dummies, Anyone?? — Parallax Forums

Graphics Programming for Dummies, Anyone??

sonex293sonex293 Posts: 9
edited 2006-11-14 00:36 in Propeller 1
I really can see a need for a "Graphics for Dummies on the Propeller" document. Anyone want to write one for a digitally impaired analog engineer?

I've got a Propeller Demo Board arriving today. My project is to take a serial data stream from an engine monitor, parse the data, and generate analog gauges on a LCD screen. I'd start with a composite LCD ( http://store.earthlcd.com/SK-3021-SK3021?sc=7&category=476 ) and move up to a VGA screen if resolution is needed. I haven't programmed in years, so I'm expecting a steep learning curve. But that's what makes it fun I guess.

--
Michael

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2006-11-13 15:53
    When you get your prop powered up, take a look at the graphics demo included with the propeller tool. You can start to tinker with that to find out how things work. There are enough high level functions provided for your gauges, IMHO.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-13 17:20
    Micheal, in that case you will want to pickup a copy of the Hydra book when it becomes availible shortly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • sonex293sonex293 Posts: 9
    edited 2006-11-13 18:22
    Thanks Guys! I'll have to look for the Hydra book when it becomes available! Any idea if this is going to be a before Xmas availability?

--
    Michael
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-13 19:38
    Yes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-11-13 21:39
    Gosh!

Someone from Parallax saying anything about a release date?

Or was that a 'yes, I know whether or not it'll arrive before Xmas'?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-11-14 00:36
    I get the feeling that the hydra book (which I shall be buying) may be more in depth than you require as its about getting lots of graphical performance when you probably don't need that in your case. The suggestion of fiddling with the graphics demo as well as reading the documentation within the graphics object it probably the best to begin with.

But buy the book anyway!

Graham