Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Machine Cures Chronic Pain. How do I add a Stamp II? — Parallax Forums

Machine Cures Chronic Pain. How do I add a Stamp II?

latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
edited 2006-11-17 07:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I just want to make sure that this schematic will work before building it. I don't want to fry my precious Boe-Bot. Please look over this for me and give me a thumbs up or down.

The Magnetic Pulser is a device that can eliminate chronic pain by hyperpolarizing nerve cell membranes with a magnetic field. People who have had MRI's often get a temporary reprieve from chronic pain. This device is just as safe as a MRI. I found a schematic for a magnetic pulser but it has a manual switch that you have to pump to get the manetic pulses. I want to use the Boe Bot to give it an auto switch. The first schematic is the original manual switch. The second schematic is my modified auto switch. Please let me know if it will work or not. The original device works. I just don't know if my auto switch modification with a Stamp II will work.

Original Pulser:
pulserworking.gif

Modified Pulser:
modpulser.gif

The following paragraph refers to the above Modified Pulser image; I arrived at the output voltage to the S6020L SCR from the Boe-Bot by testing in parallel with a digital multimeter the voltage drop between point X and point Y. This was 3.4 V. Since the Boe Bot has a 5 V output, then 5-3.4 V = 1.6 V. Therefore, the output to the SCR from Boe-Bot is 1.6 V. I arrived at the amp output to SCR from Boe-Bot by testing in series between the 150 ohm resistor and the LED at point Z. It was 11 mA.

Also, my Boe-Bot has a solderless breadboard for ease of experimentation. However, I would like to build a rugged functional portable medical device for personal use. So, I would like to solder everything on a perf board instead of using the original breadboard on the Board of Education. I did not see a schematic in the owner's manual. I found a schematic for connecting the Basic Stamp to a serial connection on pg 32 of the following document:
www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/stamps/web-BSM-v2.2.pdf

On page 32 of the above document, the 0.1 uF capacitor can be purchased where? Is the following 0.1 uF 63 volt capacitor (catalog number 995-0149) from Allied Electronics OK?
www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=1437.pdf

I don't know how to connect power to the Stamp II. How do I connect power to the Stamp II?

I also plan on connecting the Stamp II's P12 outlet to the 150 ohm resistor to the LED to the S6020L Silicon Controlled Rectifier per the above schematic marked Modified Pulser. Is this correct?

By the way, if there is a Board of Education with a perfboard instead of a breadboard, please let me know where I can purchase it. This will make my construction a lot simpler.

Thanks,
Lilly.
P.S. If you'll answer my questions, I will be most greatful. I will let you know if the device works or not. I will let you know what pulse rate works best for pain. It is also effective against depression. I will let you know where to place the electromagnet for best effect. You have to place it in specific places on the head for depression and you have to place it on specific places on the spine to deaden pain in particular spots on the body. If any person answers all my questions and it works, I'll even build a free unit for you (you provide the parts, I'll provide labor). Thanks again for the help. I was recently involved in a bad car wreck and now I have chronic pain. I do not want to use addictive and liver damaging Vicodin (a medication) anymore. I am not an electrical engineer. I am just a high school grad. All I know about electrical engineering, I learned on the internet and from my Boe-Bot that my dad gave me last Christmas. Thank you and God bless.

Post Edited (latigerlilly) : 11/12/2006 11:33:52 PM GMT

Comments

• jhoyozajhoyoza Posts: 72
    edited 2006-11-13 00:56
    Hi Lilly,

Here is a very nice bs2 prototype board. I have puchased a few myself as they are affordable and the power-regulation is clean!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Basic-Stamp-or-BX24-Protoboard-Kit_W0QQitemZ140049753942QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4661QQcmdZViewItem

As far as you other question goes, I wouldn't have a clue. I fry enough of my own stuff as it is, so you best let the experts help you there.

-J
  • bcw1011bcw1011 Posts: 8
    edited 2006-11-13 01:45
    you can try finding a solid state relay that will use a TTL compatable control signal, the relay would wire into your circuit just as the pushbutton switch would and use a 220 ohm resistor in series with the stamps' pin and the relay to help keep the current draw to a minimum.

a while back i bought several small (5A 250vac) TTL level compatible relays for a computer parallel port controlled disco light the whole circuit consisted of 4 relays 4 220ohm resistors on the data lines from the parallel port and the wiring to the lights. i dont know were exactly you can find these relays (i got them thru a surplus store) but heres a schematic to help:

http://www.discolitez.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Hardware.SSR

just substitute D0 for the basic stamp pin and connect GND to the stamps ground or -
  • jhoyozajhoyoza Posts: 72
    edited 2006-11-13 03:49
  • BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
    edited 2006-11-13 04:49
    > The Magnetic Pulser is a device that can eliminate chronic pain by hyperpolarizing nerve cell membranes with a magnetic field.

Visit James Randi's website :

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

This machine, if it works, may well qualify you for the million dollar prize.

And don't forget me! Cut me in for 10% spotters fee! wink.gif

Steve
  • latigerlillylatigerlilly Posts: 114
    edited 2006-11-13 06:29
    Guys,

Please just tell me if my modified pulser per the above schematic will work or not. Thank you and God Bless.

Jhoyoza, thanks for letting me know about the Stamp II perfboard seller on eBay. I will be saving money from my afterschool hospital job and allowance to buy it....

Much appreciation,
    Lilly.
  • BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
    edited 2006-11-14 02:47
    You could use one of the circuits from my AC controller:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=151374

This project drives switches AC to up to 6 devices, and will handly mains supply easily.

Remember my spotters fee now! jumpin.gif
  • TechnoRobboTechnoRobbo Posts: 323
    edited 2006-11-14 03:06
    Magnetic Pulsers, Rife Macnines.

May be you should build an E-meter to make sure it's all working.

P.S.
    Don't forget Bullwinkles fee.
  • binxalotbinxalot Posts: 5
    edited 2006-11-15 14:24
    There is a company called N3oceanic and they make a omega-3 enhanced fish oil pill, it works wonders for chronic pain I'm told.
  • Randy EvansRandy Evans Posts: 24
    edited 2006-11-15 17:47
    Lilly:

Attached is a schematic that might help
    Almost 7 years ago I fell off a roof and ended up with 6 herniated discs. I had a double fusion which made the pain worse. I wear 2 Fentanyl Pain Patches and my morning ritual is to take 600 mg of time-release morphine, 5 Norcos (extra strong Vicodin with less Tylenol) and, of course anti-nausea· pills to counter-act the Morphine. I'm still in a lot of pain but it helps. I spent 15 years of my lif as an electronics engineer so i think I'm in a position to both help and understand.
    Randy
    1765 x 1221 - 67K
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-11-15 18:50
    Excellent suggestion, Randy. You did leave out the 'coil protection' diode. There should be a 1n4148 diode, reverse biased, across the coil. When the transistor is turned 'off', the collapsing magnetic field in the coil generates a current pulse. The diode gives that current a non-destructive place to go to neutralize itself.

Otherwise, the transistor can burn out.

Edit:· Note the S6020 -- http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=223145&Row=724317&Site=US

This is a "silicon controlled rectifier" -- aka a switch.· What the above circuit does is charge the central capacitors when the SCR is 'off'.· Then, when the button is pressed, the SCR 'fires', a large pulse of current goes into the coil, generating a brief magnetic field pulse -- which is where you get your pain relief, I believe.· When the capacitors are discharged, the field collapses, and the SCR turns 'off'.· You must release the 'fire' button, and press it again, to get another pulse.

You CAN replace the SCR with a mechanical switch, but that large pulse of current will tend to 'weld' or 'pit' the switch contacts.· That's why the SCR is there in the original design -- it will last MUCH longer than a mechanical solution.

You CAN replace that switch (the one that controls the SCR) with a BS2 triggered relay, and that should work a long time without damage.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 11/15/2006 6:58:54 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-16 09:08
    Randy Evans & allanlane5,

Is this what you mean?
    modpulser2.gif

If I am wrong, please modify the schematic and repost with a detailed description including part numbers. I will not be able to understand a wordy explanation without an
    illustration/schematic because I am a novice.

Thanks,
    Lilly.
    P.S. allanlane5, your description of the operation of the machine is correct. It releases a huge amount of juice to the coil in a massive pulse. That's what gives the pain relief.
    edited 2006-11-16 14:46
    Yes, this looks very good. Except the 1n4148 diode should go across the RELAY coil, not the 'treatment' inductor. You've got it oriented correctly, but the 'bar' (cathode) should go to the Vdd used by the relay, while the 'triangle' (Anode) should go to the collector of the transistor which is energizing the relay.
    edited 2006-11-16 18:02
    Lilly:

Here's an updated schematic for you.

Randy
    3168 x 1728 - 477K
    edited 2006-11-16 23:19
    Close. The 'bottom' of the relay coil needs to be connected to the 'collector' of the transistor.· Currently you have the 'bottom' of the relay coil connected to Vss, which will leave it 'on' all the time.
    edited 2006-11-17 05:46
    OOPS!

Thanks, Allan, for catching my mistakes. After a year and a half of Pain Management, the old brain isn't all there anymore.

Lilly:

I think I got it right this time. If not, Allan will find it.

Randy

Post Edited (Randy Evans) : 11/17/2006 5:51:00 AM GMT
    2112 x 1184 - 260K
    edited 2006-11-17 07:17
    Thank you very much! Randy Evans and allanlane5, if you'd like, I can make you a unit for free (minus the BOE). Just PM your address. I might take me
    a bit of time to make it, though, as I have to save up to buy the parts. Thanks again :0)