Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uMMC and a Stamp? — Parallax Forums

uMMC and a Stamp?

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-11-14 14:37 in BASIC Stamp
All--

Have you tried--or thought about--using the uMMC storage unit (FAT16/32 SD or MMC card) with a Stamp? In my inexperience, they LOOK simple to use.

Here is a link to the pdf description at Active Robots . . .

http://www.active-robots.com/products/accessories/data-storage/ummc-datasheet.pdf

I am interested in the local storage of large tables indicating joint positions and other related data. Tell me what you think about the applicability of this product.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-11-10 16:13
    Bill,
    · I sell the SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com . It may work for what you are trying to do.
    · Here is a link to the manual http://user.pa.net/~bean/sddatalogger/SD%20Data%20Logger.pdf

· Your application sound interesting, if you want I can spot you one. If it works for you, you can pay for it, if it doesn't just return it. Send me a PM (private message) with your address if you want to try it.

How much data do you need to store ? It is text or values ? How do you want to retrieve it ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-11-10 20:20
    All--

I talked to Bean offline . . . well, it was actually online, but that's not important right now. Short story even shorter: I am buying one of his SD Data Loggers.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-11-10 20:29
    Bill,
    It's on it way...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
    edited 2006-11-13 22:25
    Bean--
    Got it today!
    First two dumb questions (maybe thre) . . .
    1) Will the BOE power your SD Data Logger directly or is there circuitry on your site?
    2) I thought I had something at home that would let me format the 32MB SD card. Of course, I don't and my wife doesn't have anything at work and I don't think I do, either. What do I need to get?
    I am excited about it . . . the SD Data Logger is certainly a professional looking effort!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-11-13 23:45
    Bill,
    · You can plug the cable directly into the BOE servo connectors. That will both power the module and give you communications.

· The memory card is already formatted and "ready to go".
    · If you do connect thru the servo headers, make sure you put the power switch in position 2 to apply power to the data logger.

P.S. The "Active" LED flashes when power is applied. Then is only on while a file is open.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 11/14/2006 12:23:30 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-14 14:37
    Bean--

Thank you very much.

I am an accomplished programmer and at the end of my professional career. I think microcontrollers were invented during my 3+ decades in this business . . . and I missed out! (At the beginning, my big goal in life was to become a production assembly-level programmer. I am SO glad I did not achieve that goal!)

Anyway, I am working my way through WAM and several other project books from Parallax. The coding, of course, is simple, but the I/O and electronics are almost foreign to me and I pick up a tidbit with each experiment. (I did do some "microcontroller" based stuff about 30 years ago, so I am familiar with the part that has not dimmed with age.)

But, the next free moment I get, I am plugging your SD Data Logger in and play with it!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.