Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Servo Controller — Parallax Forums

Parallax Servo Controller

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-11-12 16:44 in BASIC Stamp
All--

Does the Parallax Servo Controller board--and its software--have functionality for continuously rotating servos?

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• don_sdon_s Posts: 35
    edited 2006-11-09 15:56
    Bill,
    here is a thread that I starte on the PSC.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=153358.

They tell me that it does, I am having trouble getting good results. Now I am a relative newbie so take that with a grain of salt.

Don_S
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-11-09 16:27
    I use it on a project to control 4 continuous rotational servos and 8 standard servos. I had a little trouble at first with the full stop and even forward movement. I did some testing and matched up the servos per side (most similar responses grouped on a side together) found the right values. Set those values in a subroutine
    fwd:                      'go forward
    whspr = 654               '
    whspl = 859               ' |  |   f
    jpos = 750                 ' |  |   f
    jpos2 = 750               '
    GOTO implmnt  

implmnt:
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", flj, 0, jpos2.LOWBYTE, jpos.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", frj, 0, jpos2.LOWBYTE, jpos.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", rlj, 0, jpos.LOWBYTE, jpos.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", rrj, 0, jpos.LOWBYTE, jpos.HIGHBYTE, CR]

SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", flw, 0, whspl.LOWBYTE, whspl.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", rlw, 0, whspl.LOWBYTE, whspl.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", frw, 0, whspr.LOWBYTE, whspr.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    SEROUT Sdat,baud+$8000,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SC", rrw, 0, whspr.LOWBYTE, whspr.HIGHBYTE, CR]
    RETURN

hope that helps

Post Edited (Special_K) : 11/9/2006 4:33:18 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-09 16:39
    Thanks Special_K, I will give that a try tonight.
    Last night with testing, I finally got one servo to do what I wanted, but when I changed pins. It wouldnt work again.
    Have you ever had this happen?

Don_S
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-11-09 17:13
    don_s·and Special_K--

Thanks to both of you!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-11-09 17:20
    here is some of the set up info..
    '-------[noparse][[/noparse]STAM/PBASIC]----------------------------
     '{$STAMP BS2}
    '{$PBASIC 2.5}

'-------[noparse][[/noparse]PROGRAM DESCRIPTION]---------------------

'-------[noparse][[/noparse]CONSTANTS]-------------------------------
    flj          CON  03  'forward left joint
    flw         CON  02  'forward left wheel
    frj          CON  05  'forward right joint
    frw         CON  04   'foward right wheel
    rlj          CON  07   'rear left joint
    rlw         CON  06  'rear left wheel
    rrj          CON  01   'rear right joint
    rrw         CON  00   'rear right whee
    Sdat       CON  15        ' PSC Module
    baud       CON  396       ' BS2 baudmode (2400 baud, 8-bit, no parity)

'-------[noparse][[/noparse]VARIABLES]-------------------------------

whspr       VAR WORD  'Variable for right wheel speed
    whspl       VAR WORD  'Variable for left wheel speed
    jpos        VAR WORD  'Variable for joint position
    jpos2       VAR WORD  'Varriable for other joint

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-09 17:31
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· The PSC is simply sending out the pulses based on the width you specify in your commands.· These would be the same pulses sent by a BASIC Stamp or an R/C Receiver to the servos.· It doesn’t matter if the servos are standard or continuous rotation since they all accept the same range of pulse widths for control, however no 2 servos are exactly the same and results can vary from one servo to another on the same pin at the same pulse width.· Continuous rotation servos are a little more difficult sometimes because they can have different center/stopping values, especially if not calibrated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-09 17:35
    don_s,
    if you changed pins ether physical or program did you change the the other physical or program to match.
    Also the PSC pin / servo numbers are not that intuitive to me. They alternate between sides so 0 is on one side and above it is 2 then 4...ect. Got me twice in late night programming.
    edited 2006-11-10 14:46
    Special_K,
    Yes I did. I created a step program and found the values that would allow my servos to go forward/Reverse and stop. I modified a program then with these vallues and ran the program. The servos never moved.

After much frustration I decieded to do the one program that I know works and check the version. Now the Stamp could not find the version of the PSC. I pressed both the rest button on the PSC and the BOE-Bot with no effect. I then remeoved all power to both the stamp and the PSC board for a few minutes..

Plug everything back in and the stamp now finds the PSC and get the version.. Ran out of time and could not try the orginal program..

I am guessing that the stamp and PSC got out of sync. Whould you use a timeout on the SERIN command to determine if the two were still talking? Will the servos stay at the rate/postion of the last command if they did get out of sync?

Thanks
    Don_S
    edited 2006-11-10 17:00
    Ok.
    I know the values that control the PSC are basically the same ones that control the servos using the Basic stamp. So you were able to send code (data from the BS 2) to the PSC and get servos to move? If this is the case then you are halfway there. What is different about the code you are using to make the servos move and the actual program code.
    I have not tsted it since I do not have a PSC at work.
    Try this code.
    edited 2006-11-12 06:00
    any luck on that?
  • TechnoRobboTechnoRobbo Posts: 323
    edited 2006-11-12 16:44
    If you send the code below at the beginning of the program it will garauntee that the PSC will sync with the BS2 when you reset or upload a new program revision.

Also, remember servos are analog devices not digital therefore they don't have an exact·value for "Stop". All your servos may have been calibrated differently since in essence they (or you) are fooling the servo to rotate continously.

A part in the continuous servo, that tells it's little electronic brain what postion it's in, has been removed and the servo is fooled to thinking it's in the center of it's rotation. Therefore when you tell the servo to go full clockwise or counterclockwise (anticlockwise for those of you across the pond) , the servo chases it's tail like a dog in that direction because it never knows it got there. When you tell it to go to the "center" position it stops because thats where it thinks it is.

Once you find that "stop" value for each servo, it may go out of calibration 5 years from now. Thats why the have a calibtation screw. Standard servos (unmodified) never need calibration but they don't all respond to the same position for the same value but they're close.

Sync code- run once at the beginning:

SERVO PIN 15 'Servo Interface yours may be different.
    BAUD CON $818C 'initial baud
    HiBAUD CON 6

SEROUT SERVO, HiBAUD,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SCSBR",0,CR]'Slow PSC down if reset occurs
    PAUSE 100
    SEROUT SERVO, BAUD,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SCSBR",0,CR]'Send at low baud also - just my paranoia
    PAUSE 100
    SEROUT SERVO, BAUD,[noparse][[/noparse]"!SCSBR",1,CR]'set high baud

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Have Fun

TR

Post Edited (TechnoRobbo) : 11/12/2006 6:54:50 PM GMT