Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dumb RAM Question — Parallax Forums

Dumb RAM Question

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-11-09 15:34 in BASIC Stamp
All--

It seems to me that while interfacing additional EEPROMS to the Stamp provides much needed storage space, there is also·a big limitation: The number of writes possible in the non-volatile memory world. Plus, at least in my applications, I want to use large, on-board·tables to store temporary things; I would like to store successful joint positions, implement pseudo stacks, store sensor information for analysis, etc.

Here is the dumb question: Is there a way to interface volatile RAM to the Stamp world?

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• Lee HarkerLee Harker Posts: 104
    edited 2006-11-09 14:54
    Bill,
    I'm sure it is possible to use volatile memory but most eeproms can be written 100,000 times. If you just need more temp. ram locations that you have to write more than 100,000 times, there are a few Stamps with scratch pad ram as well.
    Lee
  • Roger PiersonRoger Pierson Posts: 62
    edited 2006-11-09 14:59
    One of the things that pleases me about the PINK modules is the tremendous amount of variable storage space accessable to the Stamp. That space to me is almost as valuable as the networking functions the PINK provides.

You might look into getting one, not only will you get your additional storage but you'll get a web interface for your project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Roger Pierson
    Senior Electronics Technicain
    DTI Assoicates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-09 15:22
    Bill,
    ·
    ·· As mentioned there are Stamp Models that have ScratchPad RAM.· This adds 126 bytes of non-variable RAM storage which you can use similar to the EEPROM but without the write limitations.· There are less expensive options for adding RAM as well.· For example, I tend to add the DS1302 to most projects.· That gives me 31 extra bytes of RAM.· Another option some customers have used is RAMTRON’s FRAM.· The only thing you have to consider is it is surface mount only, so you may need an adapter, but this ‘RAM’ is non-volatile as well.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-11-09 15:34
    Bill -

You might want to take a look at FRAM offered by Ramtron. It's must faster than EEPROM, and has a greater longevity.

The other thing you might consider is to use volatile RAM and use a battery back-up. It's mostly EEPROMs that have the write longevity problems. Maxim/Dallas has a number of memory solutions like this, which use a battery back-up making them non-volatile.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->