Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I swap a BS2 ... — Parallax Forums

Can I swap a BS2 ...

DaphylDaphyl Posts: 17
edited 2006-11-13 20:28 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Can I·replace·the BS2 microcontroller that came with my Board of Education with a BS2e microcontroller?

David

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-11-09 03:53
    Yes. Just unplug one and plug in the other. Do be careful about features that may not be on the BS2, but are in the BS2e. Also, some of the instruction timings are different and can affect statements like SERIN/SEROUT, RCTIME, etc. The PBasic manual has tables for all the instructions that are different between the different Stamp models.
  • DaphylDaphyl Posts: 17
    edited 2006-11-09 05:31
    Thanks for the info Mike. I'll add the BS2e to my Christmas list and scratch out the neck tie!

David
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-11-09 05:44
    I would put in a plug for the BS2p or BS2pe rather than the BS2e in that it has some nice additional commands like for parallel LCDs, I2C devices, and 1-Wire devices that the BS2e doesn't have.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-11-09 08:58
    You can use any of the 24-pin Stamps, including the Javelin.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-09 08:58
    My 2 cents, the BS2 draws only 6ma.

While the others have more functions and more speed, the BS2 is optimal for power frugality.
    Whatever you get, the BS2 will remain optimal for some battery dependent projects.

Personally I think that buying the Stamp Collection is the way to have it all at a bargain price.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-11-09 18:32
    If you are after speed the BS2 is like a tortise. I have a couple of BS2's a couple of Propellers and a dozenish SX chips. I like the BS2 for ease of use and power, however there are definite handicaps - like speed. Other chips are much faster and the BS2 simply can't handle a complex program with speed.

Example - A program I worked on not that long ago (to which Mike Green was a valuable help) needed to cycle through 10 sonar, several servos, DC motors and selonioids.
    Just to cycle the sonar the BS2 took around a second,·the BS2P calculated out to about 1/3 of a second and the the Propeller simply out classed both.

My point is that a faster stamp is a much better choice when you need reaction time or data.
  • DaphylDaphyl Posts: 17
    edited 2006-11-13 13:40
    Thank you all for the info. I didn't realize that so many chips were pin for pin compatable with the BS2. I'll have to do some research and find out which chip gives the best speed to EPROM size ratio.

Thanks again,
    David
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-11-13 20:28
    The BASIC Stamp Comparison Chart will make that a quick task:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/tech/faqs/stamp_specs.asp

Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.