Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA at Vintage Computer Festival 9.0 — Parallax Forums

HYDRA at Vintage Computer Festival 9.0

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2006-11-15 16:47 in Propeller 1
We had a small booth at the Vintage Computer Festival last weekend (actually the largest booth there since its a grassroots venue). Anway, here's are a couple links so you can see more Hydra media, the packaging, and book can be seen if you look closely.

http://www.xgamestation.com/view_media.php?id=177

http://www.xgamestation.com/view_media.php?id=176

Things are getting really close now to release time!

Andre'
1200 x 800 - 268K
1200 x 800 - 264K

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2006-11-08 23:33
    Andre,

How was it received by the patrons of the show?

·
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-09 00:03
    Everyone thought it was the coolest thing, especially the packaging and the more commercial "Atari-esque" bent to it, plus all the stuff it comes with including the printed book, so that it was more accessible to people that weren't hard core programmers etc. Also, everyone really liked the game carts, Steve Russel the creator of space war! was demoing it to a couple people which was kind of interesting. And the built in tinybasic was a hit, people couldn't belive how fast the interpreter ran (its 100% asm of course), so each day people were writing little programs on it like "apple sucks", "atari rules", things like that. Kids mostly played the 3D racing game, lock n chase, and the breakout clones we made. After 2 days and constant torture to the system being dragged off the tables, hot slotted, cards being put in backwards, etc. not a scratch on them, so the hardware is solid and can take a beating that is for certain.

I would have sold about 50 of them if I had them to sell considering I sold 20 XGS units.

Anyway,
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-11-09 00:13
    I am *so* disappointed I missed this, especially living right in the area. Perhaps next time you or Parallax
    has a booth, can you post it somewhere? Arghh, I would have had so much fun!
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-11-09 00:20
    Andre'.

Good shots. Nice game setups. Would of loved to been there to see the unit, games and book. Almost didn't see the book; nice looking 'book holder' too.

Thanks for a look-see. Waiting for the book, myself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2006-11-09 01:07
    Thanks, Nolan Bushnell for the concept of booth babe, he was the first to do it with computer game products 30 years ago, a man before his time. For example, here is the ad for "Computer Space"

http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/computer-space.jpg

Anyway, the book turned out really well, I am very happy with it. Of all the books I have written its defintely in my top favorites along with tricks, black art, game console, and tricks 3d.

Andre'
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2006-11-09 03:33
    Well, I can see I'm going to have to buy a book at least.

Will be a fun and interesting read.
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-11-09 04:04
    Is the girl part of the Hydra deal?
    Or at least a autographed photo
    edited 2006-11-09 05:06
    She is quite the entreprenuer, she would do an autograph for a price I am sure [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
  • GavinGavin Posts: 134
    edited 2006-11-09 12:29
    Hydra uses the SX52?
    Hydra2 going to use the Prop?
  • cbmeekscbmeeks Posts: 634
    edited 2006-11-09 15:37
    Hydra uses the Prop.

The XGS uses the SX52

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Coders' Hangout
    A place for programmers to hangout!
    http://www.codershangout.com

METROID?
    Metroid Classic
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-11-09 15:43
    Alright! I can't wait to play "Ball-Busters"! lol.gif
    Sorry I can't get over that name.

But anyway, I'm glad people took interest in it.
    I really like the box artwork, It reminds me of when I was a kid.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-11-14 03:23
    Quick update:

Our production team is just about ready to kit up the Hydra Game Stations, and they've promised them on Friday! Everything is in stock at Parallax. Looks like the retail will be $249 for the kit. Though we wish it could be $199, this is too thin for this hardware and documentation-packed product.

This means you could probably get one before Thanksgiving holiday should you desire. The book is an amazing product on its own and will also be available with CD-ROM for around $60.

The official word on availability will come from Lauren, our Marketing Manager.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-11-14 05:26
    Ken,
    Since you've made the unofficial announcement and I will be out of town sans computer beginning Friday, I've posted the Hydra version of the OS on the Propeller OS Update thread <http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=154815>. People now have yet another reason to buy a Hydra Game Station for Thanksgiving and beyond.
    Mike
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2006-11-15 13:22
    A week ago I was buying a book, now I feel compelled to buy a box. Beats cold turkey and inlaws anyway!

Graham
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-15 14:21
    $249 isn't so bad for Hydra's kit. One can enjoy games and learn a lot more.

Look at Sony's new PlayStation 3.
    Apparently it isn't backwardly compatible with older PlayStation game programs.
    Now that is expensive!

At least with the Hydra, making and sharing the games is going to be fun-- not a hefty additional cost.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-11-15 16:44
    Has anyone found the hidden Hydra web page on Parallax site yet ?

smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2006-11-15 16:47
    Kramer said...

Apparently it isn't backwardly compatible with older PlayStation game programs.

Sounds pretty backwards to me [noparse];)[/noparse]