Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The VIEW LIST function -- Can it be printed out? — Parallax Forums

The VIEW LIST function -- Can it be printed out?

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-11-09 10:23 in General Discussion
Somewhere along the way, I assumed that SX/B would be an easy and useful tool to quickly deploy a program on an SX and then be able to later·study the results in SX-Key assembly language to further improve my knowledge.

I had hopes that SX/B would be a bridge to learning more about SX-Key assembler.

In fact, I have found myself telling other people that it could be done.
But it doesn't seem as easy as I had hoped for.

The CNTL + L or View List command is central to this.
When one has an SX/B program, the CNTL + L shows the code as compiled.
[noparse][[/noparse]CNTL· + L also does this in SX-Key]

When I am in SX/B, I can use the command to get a listing of the compiled assembly language on the screen, but I cannot print it out, copy and paste, or save a copy to file.

These features would allow me to do a lot more learning and more programing.

For instance, I was just looking at the SERIN and SEROUT commands with serious intent of modifying them to accept parity.· I know I can use other code for this study project [noparse][[/noparse]Guenther's book has good examples without parity], but I think you understand what I am trying to accomplish.· Not only would I like to add parity, but I would like to be able to later insert that code into other SX/B programs if needed.

So, the question is whether or not the 'View List' command will ever support these three things -- print out, copy & paste, and save to file.

I think it would enhance the usefulness of the whole SX-Key IDE.

As it stands now,· I either have to work with·what is on the screen and try to memorize it.· Or I have to use a 'CNTL PrtSC' to get the image of one screen image·sent to Word file and then to my printer.

Either way, there is a lot of wasted time and effort.· As a result, I keep backing away from using SX/B and devote myself to SX-KEY assembler.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-11-07 19:24
    When you do 'view list' (or CTRL+L)
    a .lst file is created.
    You can open that in sxkey ide and then print it.

regards peter
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2006-11-07 19:53
    Kramer,

In the list file window:

1 - Right click to bring up edit menu

2 - Left click on "Select All"

3 - Right click again to bring up edit menu

4 - Left click on "Copy"

5 - Copy it into whatever text editor you like.

In general when working with Windows programs, when in doubt try a right click and see what comes up.

Thanks, PeterM
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-08 06:38
    Thanks, I had the feeling that I missed something.

Just one more question....
    Can the .lst file be run in SX-SIM?

Normally SX/B programs cannot use this feature.

I know I can just try it on my own, but the truth is that I am asking for any and all SX/B users that might want to explore the actual conversion to Assembler.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2006-11-08 07:33
    yes.
    In fact, when you compile a SX/B program, a .src is created and this is assembled.
    You can even·manually optimize the .src in case you need that.

regards peter
    edited 2006-11-08 07:38
    I will keep trying, but so far I cannot seem to locate the .lst or the .src files for an SX/B program.

Could I be looking in the wrong directory?
    It appears these are automatically removed after use.
    And it appears that I may have to use Windows to locate them rather than the SX-Key IDE environment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-08 07:55
    I located the .src files in the same directory as the original program.

This is enough to do everything. I guess the .lst file is automatically removed upon closing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-11-08 07:58
    Open sxkey IDE program,
    select menu run->configure
    select category assembler
    uncheck SASM files to "Sasm output"·dir
    select category sx/b compiler
    uncheck SX/B files to "output files"·dir

That will generate .src and .lst in whatever folder your sx/b program is.

Edit: when you use File->open in sxkey ide,
    remember to select filetype All Files, otherwise .lst is not showed.

regards peter

Post Edited (Peter Verkaik) : 11/8/2006 8:08:38 AM GMT
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-11-08 19:00
    Kramer,
    I use SX-Sim with SX/B program all the time.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
    edited 2006-11-09 08:24
    Thanks to all,
    this has been something I have wanted to understand for some time.

So far I am having another snag with SX-Sim. It may be that the 'include' file feature of Guenther's code is not located by SX-SIM. Either that is a problem or my SX-Sim is corrupted in some way. I'll have to devote more time later today.

I've been so slow because there were unrealized expectations on my part about SX/B documentation.

I had thought that it would eventually be documented in a formal reference text of its own [noparse][[/noparse]I prefer to work with a printed text along side the computer], but it remains primarily documented in the IDE.

That form of documentation certainly was useful when SX/B was going through huge changes every month, but now it is quite evolved. I do understand the dilemma as PBasic is fully documented and SX/B is really quite similar. With limited resources, another text might be viewed as redundant, pedantic, and economically not viable.

Nonetheless, it seems to me that a lot of us are having trouble grasping the complete concept of the SX-Key IDE as a bridge between Basic and Assembler programing skills. The IDE appears to be quite well evolved for such a purpose.

If someone else is not already working on an introductory·text, I suppose I should try to write a short document to explain how one might so from PBasic to SX/B to SX-Key --· something like a study outline.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 11/9/2006 8:30:51 AM GMT
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-11-09 08:59
    Kramer,

there is no 'include' file feature in SXSim, as it is not necessary. When you assemble an SX program, SASM reads the SRC file, and eventually the include files, and creates one list file, besides some other. The list file is what SXSim reads when you open a program with SXSim.

By default, the SX-Key IDE saves all these files in a dedicated directory, and deletes them when you close a source code file, or when you quit the IDE. As Peter explained, you can change this default. I this case, the files go into the same directory where the source file is located, and they will not be deleted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-11-09 10:23
    Understood -- very clear, very straigt forward.

It seems I am just having coincidental computer problems.
    SX-Sim ran fine a few days ago, but my computer's OS has some sort of registery bug that reoccurs.

I have software that repairs it, but I haven't found a way to stop reincursions.

I am almost ready to buy a separate computer for programing projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔