Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
School prject — Parallax Forums

School prject

pwsrpwsr Posts: 4
edited 2006-11-13 17:06 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm using my BOE-Bot for a school project, and a friend of mine gave me some sensors from the "Realrobots Cybot" (the LDRs, sonar sensors, the IR-communications thingy and a IR-Beacon and its sensors used for "cyball"), I was wondering if there is a way to use these (espacially the sonar and the beacon system) with a basic stamp? By the looks of it the sonar sensors are just small speakers and microphones.

Then I was wondering if there is a way to link a basic stamp to a ti83+ graphical calculator(from texas instruments).

Thanks.

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-11-08 11:46
    Without datasheets of those components, it's difficult to say if they can be used.

As for the TI83+, this cable and a short 'null-modem' cable should be enough to hook it up to your BOE.(If your BOE is a serial version, that is)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • pwsrpwsr Posts: 4
    edited 2006-11-08 14:38
    Yeah sorry, I dont have any datasheets on those parts, and cant find them either. I thought maybe some people here would have a cybot to, but I guess I was wrong...

I've seen that cable before, and hardware linking isnt my problem, its the software bit that I need to know. How do I instruct my ti83+ to send signals that a Basic Stamp understands?
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-11-08 14:51
    Got any picts..
    You may find people that can help if they can see the items.
  • manxstampmanxstamp Posts: 57
    edited 2006-11-08 19:58
    There is a way to join the BS2 to the TI-83+ calculator, although I haven't really found a use for such an arrangement. Rick Rowland, from Norland Research (who make a TI-83+ powered robot for those interested!) has written some TI-Basic and PBASIC programs to do this.

See http://www.smallrobot.com/bs2ti.html·for his article. The software links to the programs show files where the program lines are all joined up; they can be reformatted in the Stamp Editor and I have attached the unscrambled versions.

The Stamp program uses serial commands to link to the calculator through a modified cable (see above web page):
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.0}

serdata·· VAR·· Byte

again:
    '*****this will wait for serial from calculator
    SERIN 15,396,[noparse][[/noparse]serdata]

'***this will send it to the pc debug screen
    DEBUG DEC serdata, CR

'***this will send the same data plus 1 back to the calculator
    serdata=serdata + 1
    SEROUT 15,396,[noparse][[/noparse]serdata]

GOTO again

If you find a use for this let me know!

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Manxstamp,
    Isle of Man, British Isles

Post Edited (manxstamp) : 11/8/2006 8:04:06 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-12 20:32
    Thanks, it works :P
    The site itself mentions a straight forward use: a simple way of adding a display and keyboard to your basic stamp. There is only a little problem with this method: some numbers arent send over correct, IE you send 4 with the calc and the stamp receives 12... Does anyone know why this happens? I'll do some more recearch tomorrow.

As for those cybot parts, I'll see if I can take some pics and post them here, buts it's nothing spectacular.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-11-13 12:41
    Are you using the EXACT same BS2 model as Rick Rowland used in his article?

If not, you probably have to adjust the parameters for the SERIN commands.
    (Now, where is that PBASIC template with all thosee definitions... )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2006-11-13 17:06
    All he says about what is stamp is "You need a Basic Stamp II" And I use the standard Basic Stamp 2 that commes with the BOE-Bot, so that can't be the problem...

I tried some more numbers and wrote them out in binary, these are the results(left is what the calc sends, right is what the stamp receives):

1 -> 1
    2 -> 2
    3-> 3
    4[noparse][[/noparse]00000100] -> 12[noparse][[/noparse]00001100]
    5[noparse][[/noparse]00000101] -> 13[noparse][[/noparse]00001101]
    6[noparse][[/noparse]00000110] -> 14[noparse][[/noparse]00001110]
    7[noparse][[/noparse]00000111] -> 15[noparse][[/noparse]00001111]
    44[noparse][[/noparse]00101100] -> 92[noparse][[/noparse]01011100]
    60[noparse][[/noparse]00111100] -> 124[noparse][[/noparse]01111100]

So if you use the "4" bit then you get the "8" bit for free....

What is causing this problem? Is the software wrong(has someone else tried it?) of is my hardware broken...