Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Method of Creating "Outline" gerber files. — Parallax Forums

Method of Creating "Outline" gerber files.

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2006-11-10 23:31 in General Discussion
Hey Everyone,
I'm working on an·PC/SX controlled CNC router for fabing PCBs.··I would like it to accept Gerber Files.· I can handle all of this, but I do have one problem.· I use ExpressPCB for all my layouts, and I can find nothing on making outline gerbers out of .pcb files.· I'm thinking that if I print, then scan it in, and save as a jpeg/bmp; I could then use somekind of "color recognition" to recognize the edge of a trace, and create a line that follows the outside of the trace, and from there, create the gerbers.· Does anyone know of a current program to do this or somthing similar.· Just trying not to reinvert the wheel, I hate doing that.

Thanks
crgwbr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
NerdMaster
For
Life

Comments

• RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2006-11-07 15:48
    Eagle has a script for that and DipTrace has a 3rd party program for it. I have seen other mentions of outlining on the web.
    Both have free versions. As always, Google is your friend.

Rick
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-11-07 15:49
    I have tried Eagle, never seemed to get the hang of it, I much perfer ExpressPCB. I will look into DipTrace.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-07 16:05
    I use Eagle and am quite happy with it. There are a few tricks though.

One is to make sure your schematic is complete [noparse][[/noparse]if at all possible] before going to creating a board.
    To do so, in the VIEW menu - select PIN - to make sure you have visible confirmation that connections are properly made.

Most beginners don't know about this and get an ERC report full of unconnected items even though they appear connected.

Another tip is that the Library requires a lot of browsing in order to learn where things are. Due to European and American cultures being different, names are often not what one expects. It takes a while to learn where the components are.

Finally, think generically and you can easily cheat when the Library doesn't have the exact component you want. As I recall, there is no symbol for a 3-pin resonator. But there are a lot of 3-pin plugs and headers on a 0.1" grid.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2006-11-07 16:10
    Thanks for the Tips, I'll try it again. I have a feeling that I'll like DipTrace better though. I just downloaded the 30 day trial, now to see if I can get my workplace to buy a $200 program fo me. Anyway, on a related note; does anyone commands for G-code/Gerbers/DFX files. I'll have a create an interpreter for one of them eventually.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-11-07 20:07
    It is a very simple process to get Gcode files to run run PCB's (If you have eagle that is). There is no bothering with Gerbers. You can test this all for free:

1. Get eagle Demo at Cadsoft
    www.cadsoftusa.com/

2.Get the PCBGcode ULP and drop it in the ULP folder for Eagle
    www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.en&dir=eagle/userfiles/ulp

3. Make a simple drawing in schematic view, then make a board layout from it, arrange parts in a window less than 2" as the demo is limited

4. Read the instructions for the pcb gcode to understand the files types it exports as Gcode(top dril, top traces, etc)

5. When you run the ULP, it will export files you can diretly import into machine software. You can configure the PCBGCODE setup for several machine softwares. I use Mach3, simply load in the file and route traces. Mach3 is free to up to 1000 lines of instructions.
    edited 2006-11-07 20:11
    Thanks, but I would really like to write my own G-code interpreter. This machine is a bit of a multi-tasker, so I software to be just right; ie: write it myself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • mediaprefectmediaprefect Posts: 31
    edited 2006-11-10 23:31
    Crgwbr,

You seem to be starting a new thread which might get a lot more response if you stuck with the Community Supported PCB Milling Machine, also in the Sandbox. Several people there are working on them. Some even have something working.