Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
parallax servo controller & power supply calculation — Parallax Forums

parallax servo controller & power supply calculation

littlebananaslittlebananas Posts: 4
edited 2006-11-08 04:49 in General Discussion
Hi again,

Another question regarding the PSC, and some very basic things:

I understand that the blue connectors on the PSC are for connecting a separate power supply. Two PSCs will be daisy chained together, and I'm planning to connect 15 servos to each PSC board.

First off, the servo that I'm using, the Hitec 785HB, has a spec of 250mA running current (no load), and 1800mA stall current. I read somewhere that I should always have a power supply robust enough to handle the stall current. This will be quite a lot of current of I'm going to go ahead with 30 servos (54A!). Am I on the right track to assume that I should get a power supply that can provide that much current at 5V to the servos?

If I were to calculate the total running current based on a lower running current of, say, 500mA for each servo (my servos will not be doing any major lifting of loads, it will simply rotate lightweight rods mounted directly to it), I get a more manageable total running current of 15A.

Does anyone have a recommendation of the kind of power supply I should get?

The other question is this: the PSC has those blue connectors to connect the separate power source from the power supply, but is it possible to blow the PSC by having a lot of current running through the blue connectors in order to power all of the servos?

Thanks for your help, I know I'm really new at all this, and any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• littlebananaslittlebananas Posts: 4
    edited 2006-11-08 04:49
    Some more additional information to add to my question:

I'm considering using an enclosed power supply unit - two of them, in fact, that will each output 5V/26A.

Anyone who can shed some light on the max current I can feed into the PSC? The reverse side of the PSC board is labelled '7.5VDC max', but will it be safe if I were to pump 5V/26A into each PSC board using the blue connectors?

Anyone? I reckon that for the PSC to be able to handle a maximum of 16 servos, it should be able to take a large amount of current. Appreciate your input. smile.gif

hop.gif