Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tile engines??? — Parallax Forums

Tile engines???

cbmeekscbmeeks Posts: 634
edited 2006-11-07 13:50 in Propeller 1
I just got my propstick working and I'm trying to learn Spin/PropAsm. What I was wondering is if there are some tutorials or sample code using tile engines?

I know the Hydra is soon but I'm too excited to wait. smile.gif

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Coders' Hangout
A place for programmers to hangout!
http://www.codershangout.com

METROID?
Metroid Classic

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-11-06 20:08
    Well there is a basic tile engine included with the propeller tool.
    I don't remember its name, but it is a text object that only takes up a few longs of memory.

As for something that can draw and move 10 metroid sprites on a screen at once over a level?
    I know the Hydra's tile engine can!
    Guess there is just a lot of waiting for everything, since these objects are written for a system that isn't even out yet.
    ^^

Post Edited (Ym2413a) : 11/6/2006 8:18:25 PM GMT
  • cbmeekscbmeeks Posts: 634
    edited 2006-11-06 20:23
    arg...yeah, I guess I will just have to wait. I literally don't have the time to sit down and code a super fast asm/tile routine. :-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Coders' Hangout

METROID?
    Metroid Classic
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-11-06 20:30
    For the past week I've been working on a new 1024 x 768-pixel tile driver that will be released shortly. It uses 64 x 48 tiles of 16 x 16 pixels each, with two color bits per pixel. It will be useful for showing the internal font with 64 columns by 24 rows, or making tile-based graphical displays.

I was convinced this was not going to be possible, but after a lot of looking at the problem, and even resigning a few times, I found a way to do it. It uses two cogs which take turns building and displaying four scan lines each, much like the vga_hires_text driver. So much pixel and color data needed to be buffered in the cogs'·ram·that the whole program had to fit between $180 and $1EF - only 112 words. This was really challenging, in itself. Now it's done and I'm cleaning it up.

Anyway, this will make for very smooth text displays that would be ideal for self-hosting development tool efforts (Forth, BASIC, etc). Also, I'm thinking that it might be useable (with a smart tile arranger) as a hi-res 3D polygon or vector display. The limitation would be on how many unique tiles are actually on the screen at once. Basically, for practical purposes, only 1/8 of the tiles could be unique -- but that would still allow for lots of neat applications.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-11-06 23:52
    Chip Gracey (Parallax) said...
    For the past week I've been working on a new 1024 x 768-pixel tile driver that will be released shortly. It uses 64 x 48 tiles of 16 x 16 pixels each, with two color bits per pixel. It will be useful for showing the internal font with 64 columns by 24 rows, or making tile-based graphical displays.

That's really neat! I can see use for something like that with all this interest in Propeller based IDEs at the moment.
    Looks like a lot of people wants to write some sort languages that not only runs on the propeller, but also so does its IDE.

Like a propeller Quick-Basic or something of that nature.
  • cbmeekscbmeeks Posts: 634
    edited 2006-11-07 00:08
    I think the Hydra is supposed to have a BASIC of some sort?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Coders' Hangout

METROID?
    Metroid Classic
    edited 2006-11-07 13:50
    cbmeeks said...
    I think the Hydra is supposed to have a BASIC of some sort?
    Yeah I think it's built into the on-board EEPROM or something.