Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Editor "hang" on dload to multiple slots — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Editor "hang" on dload to multiple slots

Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
edited 2006-11-07 03:03 in BASIC Stamp
I have the Basic Stamp Editor / Development system v2.2.6 and have had problems with the "download" dialog "hanging" after a dload is complete. This only seems to happen when dloading to multiple "slots' to a BSIIp device. If I'm only dloading one slot, it doesn't happen but if more than one slot needs to be updated, about 1 in 6-12 dloads will hang.

It doesn't *always* happen, but it happens often enough to be an impediment to development. I have to exit then re-start the editor to get the dload dialog to "go away" (dload dialog to which I am referring is attached).

I have tried replacing the cable, I've tried using a different computer (happens both on my home Windows XP Pro box and my work XP pro laptop).

Ive even tried using a shorter serial cable (both 3' and 6' cables have seen this problem happen).

Has anyone else seen this behavior and/or is there a "fix" for it? I had this same thing happen with version 2.2.5 and thats part of the reason I'm updated to this newer version... confused.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

370 x 257 - 25K
320 x 269 - 23K

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-06 17:20
    Vern,
    ·
    ·· I don’t believe the download is actually failing.· We have seen a few rare situations where the progress indicators seem to hang, but the code is being downloaded.· If not, you should be getting a download failure error.· Are you seeing such an error, or is it saying download complete?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-11-06 18:27
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...

I don’t believe the download is actually failing. We have seen a few rare situations where the progress indicators seem to hang, but the code is being downloaded. If not, you should be getting a download failure error. Are you seeing such an error, or is it saying download complete?

It does say "100%" and the BSII program begins to run, but the requestor is "stuck" and it wont let me dload to the stamp again till i restart the editor program. Lukily, it lets me save.. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-11-06 18:51
    Vern,
    ·
    ·· Our software engineer is aware of the issue and looking into it.· Hopefully a future revision will correct the problem.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-11-06 19:31
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Our software engineer is aware of the issue and looking into it. Hopefully a future revision will correct the problem.

Thanks! smile.gif By the way, do you think disabling/enablig FIFO buffer on the serial port would help/hurt the issue?

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-11-06 20:18
    Vern,
    ·
    ·· I honestly don’t think it will make much difference.· Anything that would affect that would also affect the programming itself.· It must be something in the dialogue box routines in the code.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • RandyRandy Posts: 79
    edited 2006-11-07 03:03
    Hi Vern,

I have the same problem and in fact if you go back a few weeks you will see my post regarding it. As Chris said the software engineer has some ideas for·fixing it in a·future version. In the mean time I have never had to restart the editor. After the indication that the download is 100%·and it freezes, try "ctrl R". That has always reloaded the stamp normally·for me and never frozen a second time.·Not perfect·but it doesn't take but a few seconds and I don't have to restart the editor. I hope that·helps you.

Randy