Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
playstation controller code in the Nuts and Volts article question — Parallax Forums

playstation controller code in the Nuts and Volts article question

samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
edited 2006-11-06 19:54 in Propeller 1
I' m new to the propeller and i'm building a simple bot with it.· I read all the stuff on the ps controller to the propeller.·

So i copied and pasted the code at the end on the Nuts & Volts article and it would not compile, am i missing something or what?· Also i using a NES wireless controller instead, the Aklaim 'Double Player' System, it·shouldn't be too different. Now i know the code will not work for controller, I just need something to get me started and/or a rough draft.·

Daniel

Comments

• Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-11-06 05:08
    samsn4 said...
    I' m new to the propeller and i'm building a simple bot with it. I read all the stuff on the ps controller to the propeller.

So i copied and pasted the code at the end on the Nuts & Volts article and it would not compile, am i missing something or what? Also i using a NES wireless controller instead, the Aklaim 'Double Player' System, it shouldn't be too different. Now i know the code will not work for controller, I just need something to get me started and/or a rough draft.

Daniel

An NES controller is completely different from a playstation controller. Considering that the controllers were manufactured by two different companies with over 10 years time span between them, there's not much overlap between the two. They do both employ synchronous serial communication. However, I think that actually the Playstation controller uses a microcontroller that accepts serial commands before it sends data back, while the NES controller simply employs a 4021 shift register chip that "blindly" dumps bits while you run the clock. But I am not as familiar with the Nintendo as I am with the Playstation controller.

Is the Nintendo controller key to the project you are building? Although software is infinitely malleable, sometimes it's easier to switch hardware to support a program you already have (for the Playstation controller) than it is to write code for new hardware.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2006-11-06 14:47
    There is a NES controller in the object exchange. I have tested it with a wired NES controller and a wired SuperNES controller
  • samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
    edited 2006-11-06 17:47
    The reason that i'm using the NES controller is that there is already code all over for the ps, i wasn't wanting to copy and paste i would like to lean.

John - do you remenber where that threads at? thanks

I found the code thanks

Post Edited (samsn4) : 11/6/2006 7:36:39 PM GMT
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2006-11-06 19:54
    The code in in the Propeller object exchange. http://ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65