Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial Comm with USB BOE — Parallax Forums

Serial Comm with USB BOE

blakrapterblakrapter Posts: 38
edited 2006-11-06 05:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone,

I just ordered a BOE USB (already here!), a DC-16 from Parallax EFX, and a power supply and USB cable b/c I didn't read the BOE description well enough and had to place a 2nd order.· Anyway, the DC-16 is supposed to communicate with the BS2 via a serial cable from what I understand.· Well, I don't have a serial port on the board b/c its a USB board.· How am I supposed to hook it up??

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-06 01:33
    Hello,
    ·
    · The USB Port on the BOE is serial in nature.· The driver that you install on the PC makes it appear to the PC as a Virtual COM Port.· But that doesn’t really matter or apply anyway, since you want to use an I/O pin on the BASIC Stamp.· Any of the I/O pins can be used for serial I/O.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • blakrapterblakrapter Posts: 38
    edited 2006-11-06 02:16
    Chris,

Thanks for the info. So, a pin(s) can be used and not the actual serial port? How many pins are required (I have only 2 I/Os left).

Thanks!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-06 05:39
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Only one pin is needed for serial communication with the DC-16.· In fact you can connect more than one EFX Serial device to that same I/O line.· They only respond to the ones you send the correct command prefix for.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support