Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What next — Parallax Forums

What next

Robert MartinezRobert Martinez Posts: 13
edited 2006-11-08 17:35 in BASIC Stamp
I think I damaged my BS2 chip. The standard LED circuit does not work anymore. Is there anyway I would know for sure? Can I send it in for repair or do I just buy another one?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-05 23:44
    Robert,
    ·
    ·· Have you tried a different pin?· Can you still download programs to it?· Have you tried a different LED and/or resistor?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Tommy BotTommy Bot Posts: 60
    edited 2006-11-06 19:45
    Batteries?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    (Frequently heard from other's)

Tommy, I know it wasn't designed to·x, but can you make it·do x·anyway?

·
  • Robert MartinezRobert Martinez Posts: 13
    edited 2006-11-06 22:17
    Chris, I tried many pins. I also went directly from the VSS to VDD with a resistor and the LED. I also tried using 3 other LED's that were brand new. I did not try another resistor. I also did not try another download. I'll try them tonight. I·was trying to get the LED to light using a relay.·I want to figure it out so that I could make a halloween prop work. I have a post in the sandbox·(PIR Sensor)·. I was trying to put the circuit together that you recomended. The circuits when drawn are still difficult for me to figure out. The switching relays that I bought have 5 connections. The picture doesn't show me where to connect each wire. I figure I could work with my mutimeter and figure things out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43919

Tommy Bot. The batteries are new.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-11-07 02:00
    1. Check your 9V battery with your multimeter

2. To see if the LED works take the 9V battery connect the longest wire that comes from the LED to the + side of the battery and then connect a 1K resistor to the negative side and that to the shorter wire of the LED. This will dimily light the LED with a maximum of 9mA.

3. If that works better check your VDD and VSS on your board using your multimeter. Connect the red probe to VDD and the Black probe to VSS with your meter set to allow 5V readings. If you do not get 5V then something is wrong with the board assuming your multimeter is working.

The schematic above looks fine, connect the NO or NC connection of the relay to the V+ and the last connection to the longest wire of the LED. From the shorter wire of the led connect that to a 470 ohm resistor and the other side of the resistor to ground.

If you connect the NO. pin to V+ then when the stamp sends a high signal it will turn the LED on. If you connect the V+ to the NC. pin then a high signal from the stamp will energise the relay and turn the LED off.

I assume the relay package says NO and NC meaning normally open, and normally closed. Normally open means an open circuit, normally closed means the connection is made so the electricity flows through it.

The NPN Transistor simply allows the V+ to flow through to ground when the stamp gives it a high signal through R1 to energise the relay.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Robert MartinezRobert Martinez Posts: 13
    edited 2006-11-07 16:06
    Thanks Metron9. I wasn't able to try anything last night because of the voting going on today. I'll check things out tonight and let you guys know what I did. Thanks again to everyone.
  • edited 2006-11-08 17:35
    Robert, to answer your original question. Parallax does offer a replacement or repair programs for potentially damaged products. We do not do this on every product but stamps are one of them. Of course we suggest attempting to identify a potential fix first before returning using the channels you are currently or by contacting our support directly via the phone. If these attempts fails our techs will make a recommendation to return for testing. If damaged we will let you know of your options which may include utilizing our 1/2 price replacement policy . Please don't returrn any product without contacting Parallax first. At that time a return # would be issued to you for return.