Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
cannot load BS2 — Parallax Forums

cannot load BS2

vikingviking Posts: 30
edited 2006-11-03 21:52 in BASIC Stamp
I am using a Basic Stamp· BS2-IC· 1995 Rev B . There is a program in it but I am trying to load another program. It does not seem to be working. I am powering it with a 9V battery with an output of 6.8V .It is connected to my laptop. I hit Alt L and everything comes up as it should. Then I go to Alt R and then the debug screen comes up. It fills up with SSSSS··· On checking the out put of the pins with a volt meter I am not getting an output on the last pins 6 & 7 etc This is the simple program. Any ideas?

·'THIS IS THE PROGRAM FOR THE JUGGLING TEDDY BEAR
DIRS=%1111111111111111
OUTS=%0000000000000000
START:
OUTS=%10001
PAUSE 100
OUTS=%01001
PAUSE· 100
OUTS=%01010
PAUSE· 100
OUTS=%00110
PAUSE· 100
OUTS=%00101
PAUSE· 100
OUTS=%10010
PAUSE 100
OUTS=%10101
PAUSE· 100
outs=%1010011
DEBUG OUTS
GOTO START
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-03 18:11
    Viking,
    ·
    ·· A weak 9V battery like that is not going to be reliable when trying to download a program.· That could very well be part of your problem.· You say you have a laptop, but how are you connecting the BASIC Stamp to the laptop?· Serial or USB?· Are you using an adapter?· If it’s an on-board Serial Port you will want to disable the FIFO Buffers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • vikingviking Posts: 30
    edited 2006-11-03 18:33
    Well I now have a battery with 7.7 output. I tried a wall transformer with 12V out put· Am connecting with a parallax supplied cable no adapters. However I am getting my all to familur message ERROR Hardware not found. I get this a lot even wih the bs1 revd after Iplay for a while then I stop getting it.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-11-03 19:31
    Check your connections to the power supply.

My BS2 would work sometimes but not others and it took awhile to figure out that the tab at the bottom of the power jack was sticking.

One other thing is that if you are using a 9 pin cable in any form, try switching to a different one. My first time using a BS2 I couldn't get·regular loading because there was a short in one of the wires. Some guys from the robot club dinked around with it for a few hours before switching out the cable and the problem went away.

Post Edited (AIman) : 11/3/2006 7:35:49 PM GMT
    edited 2006-11-03 20:02
    Sounds like you may be having some battery issues for sure…A 9V battery should be right around 9V or it’s no good.· Also, you didn’t say anything about the FIFO buffers, but if you’re going directly into a COM Port on the Laptop, it’s a sure bet you’ll need to disable the FIFO buffers.· Do you know how to do this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 20:05
    Almost forgot…I was addressing voltage and communication issues and never responded to your output issues.· I wanted to mention that in the first 7 OUTS commands you are only affecting P0 through P4.· Only in the last one would you be affecting P6, which will only be HIGH at the last OUTS, and only for 100 mS before it is set LOW again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 21:01
    You have stumped me on the FIFO buffers. Also it did not work when I had the 12V wall transformer hooked up to it.
    edited 2006-11-03 21:09
    If the BASIC Stamp is programming okay you won't need to worry about FIFO buffers.· Let me confirm...Is the code downloading okay?· You're just not getting the expected results at the I/O pins, or is there a downloading issue?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 21:22
    Well I think I was having a downloading issue as I was not getting the expected results at the pin. I was measuring for an output with a VOM· I changed a line of code so to be sure of an output on a differant pin. After looking at the original I could see a mistake. However now I have abigger issue and that is the ERROR· hardware not found. Can I use the serial cable that came with my starter kit and hook it to my XP computer? i have downloaded the software for windows xp
    edited 2006-11-03 21:30
    Viking,
    ·
    ·· Yes you can use the cable that came with it, however for Windows XP you need to have the Windows version of the BASIC Stamp Editor.· You can download the latest version from our website.· A VOM most likely won’t detect rapid changes on the pins.· You will need to make the pins HIGH for a longer period of time to see them with a VOM.· Rapid changes like that are only going to show up on a Scope or Logic Analyzer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 21:52
    Thanks I already have the windows version downloaded. Thanks for your time.
    I have four or five stamp1 rex d running for a few years·and driving solid state relays direct for xmas lights and no problems. This particular BS2 I used for X 10 control fading commands. I do not know why I am having trouble now. I suppose I should use the ULN2003 for driving the relays. However if on the BS1 I put it in the holes next to the pins and line up the ground then pin 1 will send a signal to input 7 on the ULN but this should not matter. The BS2 is another matter. Have a good weekend.