Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic vehicle alarm system for my car — Parallax Forums

basic vehicle alarm system for my car

NoNo Posts: 26
edited 2006-11-03 06:26 in BASIC Stamp
hey wassup guys, i plan on designing a basic vehicle alarm system for my car using a bs2 chip...so far ive just been flow charting....is there and thing i should take into consideration as far as shorting something out? or draining my car battery. anysuggestions will be appreciated. thanxrolleyes.gif

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 11/3/2006 6:02:53 AM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-11-03 04:57
    You should always be concerned about a short or draining the battery. Car batteries can put out an awful lot of current, so be sure to use an appropriate fuse. You will probably connect to some accessory circuit which is already fused, but supplying your own fuse is important. In terms of draining the car battery, make sure you actually measure the current drawn by your circuit and keep it to a minimum. Have a power switch so that your alarm can be completely disconnected from the power source. Check your power supply regulator to make sure it's a low current one (some can dump quite a few milliamps down their ground pin).

Notice what other alarms do ... They will sound the horn or flash the lights or have their own sound source, but stop after a while to avoid draining the battery. Other alarms will disable the ignition, but do have a lockswitch override.
  • NoNo Posts: 26
    edited 2006-11-03 05:12
    thanx....

i dont think im gonna add any of the sirens and stuff...im more so concern with like (tapping into) controlling door locks, kill switches and stuff like that
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-11-03 06:26
    Some systems have their own battery too. This is good for when crooks disconnect your battery......

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."