Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DB9 Special — Parallax Forums

DB9 Special

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2006-11-02 23:11 in BASIC Stamp
I had a request from a customer – he wanted to know if I could make a DB9 programming pigtail with the two .1uf caps for the ATN pin in the pigtail. I made a little PC board with a straight DB9 connector on one end and a 4-pin header on the other end. The two caps are on the little board, which measures 1.000 x .600, and the pin header plugs into his breadboard connecting directly to Stamp physical pins 1, 2, 3 and 4. All he has to do is apply Vcc and Vss to the Stamp and he is ready to program. I liked it so well I made one for myself. Now when I make a PC board for a Stamp, instead of mounting a DB9 and the caps, I’ll have a 4-pos female header going to Stamp pins 1-4, then just plug in my "DB9 Special" when I want to program. Pretty neat, huh? Picture is attached.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Sid Weaver
Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
450 x 332 - 6K

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-11-02 21:34
    Excellent idea! I have taken the same type approach to the next step and included the other components so that my "roll your own" stamp is nothing more than the EEPROM, Parallax PIC, Resonator and two resistors.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-02 23:11
    Steve & Sid,
    ·
    ·· In my BASIC Stamp projects where I don’t want to use a Stamp Module, I mount the Interpreter, Resonator and EEPROM (plus a few passive components) on the board and have a 4-pin header to program it via USB using the USB2SER.· Changing the order of the pins would allow you to use the Prop Plug to do the same thing.· This makes it similar to the way an SX is programmed and seriously reduces parts count on OEM implementations.· You can see an example schematic at the following link.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=567989

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support