Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2Px24 not recognised sometimes. — Parallax Forums

BS2Px24 not recognised sometimes.

Aaqil KhanAaqil Khan Posts: 60
edited 2006-11-03 20:20 in BASIC Stamp
Is anyone else having this problem?
I am using a BS2px24 on the PDB and after i write my program and hit F9 (to tokenize it and download to the microcontroller) - most of the times it downloads perfectly and my program runs as it should.

But, 1 in 10 times, i get an error message saying that no Basic Stamps found. When i hit the F9 key again, it works fine.

Why is this happening?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
E=mc^2

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-02 15:18
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Are you using the serial or USB connection to the PDB?· Is this on a laptop or desktop computer?· How are you powering the PDB?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Aaqil KhanAaqil Khan Posts: 60
    edited 2006-11-02 21:51
    Hi Chris,

I connect the PDB to a laptop via USB connection (since it does not have any serial ports). My power supply is a 9V, 350mA wall adapter.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E=mc^2
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-11-02 22:25
    It looks like you need to change the "Latency" timer.· If you go to your "Device Manager" on your PC and click on "Ports" and then·the "USB to·com" port,·you'll see a "Port Settings" tab, click on it and then click on the "Advanced" button and then change the "Latency" timer from 16 to 1.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2006-11-02 22:57
    Thanks Dave and Chris. I changed the Latency from 16 to 1 like you suggested and I tested stamp several times. Didn't get that error anymore.

Just curious to know - what does "Latency" value do and why was a value of 16 a problem?

Thanks for your time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E=mc^2
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-11-02 23:34
    I'm not very familiar with the Latency timer, however you could Google it and find out more information.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-11-03 13:04
    Aaqil Khan said...
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    I am using a BS2px24 on the PDB and after i write my program and hit F9 (to tokenize it and download to the microcontroller) - most of the times it downloads perfectly and my program runs as it should.

But, 1 in 10 times, i get an error message saying that no Basic Stamps found. When i hit the F9 key again, it works fine.

Why is this happening?

Thanks.

I have the same issue with my PDB - about 2 to 3 in 10 downloads results in a "Communication error". I have the latency at 1, but it still happens. It seems like it actually got much worse after I installed the latest version of the Propeller Tool (1.0) and took the option of installing the FTDI drivers. I don't remember the previous version of the FTDI drivers having the same problem (or at least there were no where as many errors). I haven't had time to figure out if the previous drivers were newer than what came with the tool or older.

What I am curious about is if the "failed" download actually "count" toward the total writes to the EEPROM. If they are, then I should probably figure it out quick!
    edited 2006-11-03 14:14
    Hi Paul.

i suspect its more of a communication issue. I tried to hookup my PDB with my desktop computer (which has a serial port) and i didnt get that error once. Maybe some issue with FTDI and/or communication settings.

By the way - what is the maximum number of times that one can write to the stamp's EEPROM? And what happens after that many counts?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E=mc^2
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-11-03 14:43
    Well, it depends on what happens before the download 'fails'. If it's the initial handshake (set DTR, lower DTR, get reset acknowledge from BS2) then no, it probably doesn't apply toward the 'count'.

What happens with EEPROMS is you get only a certain number of writes (on each location) before that location no longer can be written. Once a location 'breaks', you can write anything you want, but it will always read the same -- all ones or all zero's, I'm not sure which.

That 'certain number' is like 100,000 to 1,000,000 writes. If you programmed it once every 10 minutes, that's like 26 years. So in normal use, this is not a problem. It only becomes a problem if you use the "WRITE" keyword to store data in the local EEPROM -- and then do a WRITE every 1 mSec or so. This can wear out a location in a day. So don't do that.
    edited 2006-11-03 14:53
    Hi allanlane5,

thanks for your information. dat really put the eeprom issue in perspective. for a minute there I was worried about wearing out my eeprom. 26 years is long enough ;-)

cheers!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E=mc^2
    edited 2006-11-03 15:28
    Paul,
    ·
    ·· The drivers distributed with the Propeller Tool are the newest ones for Windows NT/2000/XP and will only update your drivers if they need it (and if you select to have this done).· Note that even if you set the Latency Timer to 1 before, updating the drivers will usually reset this.· You might want to recheck the setting if you haven’t.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 16:26
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[noparse]:office:[/noparse]smarttags" /><st1:PersonName>Paul</st1:PersonName>,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[noparse]:office:[/noparse]office" /><otongue.gif> </otongue.gif>

<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> The drivers distributed with the Propeller Tool are the newest ones for Windows NT/2000/XP and will only update your drivers if they need it (and if you select to have this done).<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Note that even if you set the Latency <st1:PersonName>Tim</st1:PersonName>er to 1 before, updating the drivers will usually reset this.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> You might want to recheck the setting if you haven’t.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Take care.

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion - I was aware of that and I did go in and reset it to 1. It is a persistent problem that is mostly just frustrating - but I would like it to go away. I discovered that my USB BOE exhibits the same behavior on the same cable, so it's definitely something on the PC end. I'll dig into it when I'm not having so much fun with my projects!

Regards,
    Paul
    edited 2006-11-03 16:36
    Paul,
    ·
    · ·As a side-note it appears as though you tried to copy and paste quoted text…If you use the Quote Reply button at the top-right of the message you won’t get all that garbage in the reply text.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 18:15
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[noparse]:office:[/noparse]smarttags" /><st1:PersonName>Paul</st1:PersonName>,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[noparse]:office:[/noparse]office" /><otongue.gif> </otongue.gif>

<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> As a side-note it appears as though you tried to copy and paste quoted text…If you use the Quote Reply button at the top-right of the message you won’t get all that ga<st1:PersonName>rb</st1:PersonName>age in the reply text.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Take care.

I DID use the Quote Reply (as I did with this one)!!
    edited 2006-11-03 18:17
    That is strange…When we do that here all the garbage isn’t included.· Maybe it’s a browser thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 18:22
    That is strange…When we do that here all the ga<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[noparse]:office:[/noparse]smarttags" /><st1:PersonName>rb</st1:PersonName>age isn’t included.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Maybe it’s a browser thing.

I use it all the time also and this just started today at around 11:30 (see my first post below which is OK)! Same browser (Firefox) I have been using all year - but it is the "nightly" edition. I just got the daily update but it obviously didn't fix it. I think a reboot is in order!!

Thanks,
    Paul
    edited 2006-11-03 20:16
    Paul,
    ·
    ·· When your reply immediately follows a message there is no need to quote anyway, so that will reduce issues.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-03 20:20
    It seem to be working (just posted in Propeller forum), but I do agree!!