Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quick Question — Parallax Forums

Quick Question

Mike WMike W Posts: 105
edited 2006-11-02 17:53 in General Discussion
Hello all

I have one quick question about SX/B.

Is their a need to clear programs before starting new projects.
like the clear.bs2 program (stamp works page 25) and if so does such a program exist.

I am sort of under the impression that you can damage a chip by clearing things that should not be tampered with.

Mike W

Comments

• Sparks-R-FunSparks-R-Fun Posts: 388
    edited 2006-11-01 19:53
    Mike,

To the best of my knowledge, nothing is "remembered" in the SX from the previous programming session. The Parallax IDE makes sure that everything old is "erased" or replaced with new data each time you program the device.

- Sparks
  • Mike WMike W Posts: 105
    edited 2006-11-01 23:18
    Sparks

So then (as I understand you) all you need to do is download your new program before making any connections to the SX ?

Mike
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-11-02 03:04
    As far as connections go while downloading, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can remove the voltage line positive and negative to the circuit if you for example build another circuit and attach all the IO pins if you happen to have a program still in the chip that may conflict with the new circuit. That way the power from any IO has no place to go, unless you have a short within the new circuit of course.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2006-11-02 11:51
    Mike,

Best known practice is to program the SX with either a blank program, or the program for the circuit you will be attaching it to, before connecting any new circuitry.· What you are trying to avoid is having a pin programmed as a high output driving what may be a line to ground (or visa versa) in the new circuit.

(A SX programmed with a blank program <DEVICE lines as minimum>·using·the Parallax IDE will set all I/O's to input.)

Nate

Post Edited (Nate) : 11/2/2006 12:15:33 PM GMT
  • Mike WMike W Posts: 105
    edited 2006-11-02 17:53
    Sparks, Metron9, Nate

Thanks for your responces I think·it is clear now on how to protect my SX. I was worried about pin direction on previously used ports. And·It is good to know that·everyting is erased upon reprograming.

Mike