Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions about serial to propeller circuit (no MAX232) — Parallax Forums

Questions about serial to propeller circuit (no MAX232)

Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
edited 2006-11-02 03:58 in Propeller 1
I don't have any money right now but I have a lot of discrete components on hand, so I thought I'd build the serial to propeller circuit given here:

www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/SerialtoPropeller.pdf

The thing I'm wondering is, that can be used to program the Propeller, but does the circuit also allow the Propeller to transmit serial data back to the computer so that hyperterminal can receive communications?

Comments

• David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2006-11-01 20:06
    Yes! I've done it.

What I did was to load my spin program in EEPROM, then shut down the Windows propeller tool to free up the Windows COM port, then start HyterTerminal, then restart the propeller board so it reboots from the EEPROM.

Then the newly started spin code is free to send or receive whatever RS232 data it wants, and you can see it on HyperTerminal.

David
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2006-11-01 20:07
    Dennis Ferron,

You could try the modification mentioned here, that would allow the Propeller to transmit.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=610217

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • The Fat KidThe Fat Kid Posts: 3
    edited 2006-11-01 22:42
    I did mine on strip board and it works.· It's messy and it's ugly, but it works.
    800 x 600 - 198K
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2006-11-02 03:58
    I use a 74HCT14 shcmitt trigger inverter for the level shifting and so on... works fairly happily. [noparse]:)[/noparse]