Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Finding Board layouts (OT) — Parallax Forums

Finding Board layouts (OT)

James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
edited 2006-11-03 00:06 in Propeller 1
Where do all you guys (who design PCB's) get the layouts for different things like connectors?

I can get datasheets for most anything, but have a hard time finding things like DB9 connectors and such.

I could use some advice.

James L

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-11-01 17:07
    If component layouts are not in the program's libary, then I make them myself and save as a Custom part.· I have made dozens of layouts, including the DB15 High Density connector.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-11-01 17:09
    Sid,

That is my problem....I can't find the layouts for the connectors. I've tried....but can't seem to get the hole and pad layouts for a right angle .318 DB9.

Man .....I'll be glad when my library is complete.

James L
    edited 2006-11-01 17:40
    James, the layout for the DB9 is attached.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    edited 2006-11-01 18:24
    Thanks,

I just wish I had every component tha I will ever use.....I'm slowly inputting all of it in a library.....but it takes time.....especially finding the layouts.

James L
    edited 2006-11-01 18:40
    James, do you use Expresspcb?

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-11-02 02:52
    Sid,

No I use eagle and will have boards made with Sparkfun's service.

James L
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-02 03:55
    James,

For finding PCB part footprints, DigiKey is your friend. Their website has links to datasheets for almost every part they carry. And nearly every datasheet will include enough dimensional data to create a footprint. Many include the footprint itself.

For parts whose datasheets DigiKey doesn't directly link to, go to DigiKey's product page for the part and copy the manufacturer's part number to the clipboard. Then click on the link to the manufacturer's website. Invariably there will be a Search box there. Just paste the part number into it, click Enter, and follow the links the the part's datasheet.

-Phil
    edited 2006-11-02 05:01
    Phil,

Well that explains much of my problem. I've been using Mouser....and they are short on some of their datasheets.

Like Phoenix connectors.....good luck. Their website is a mad house. Can't find any datasheets for their products, but I will try Digikey. I have ordered from them before, they provide a great service.

BTW....I love Phoenix connectors.....used them in automation....they are great, but pricey. There are some knock off brand of them like emtek.

Thanks Phil...I'll try that,

James L
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-02 05:10
    James Long said...
    BTW....I love Phoenix connectors

I agree: they're very well-made connectors. But, gads, who picked those colors?!

-Phil
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,660
    edited 2006-11-02 05:38
    What! Phil, you don't like Phoenix green?!

James, there are CAD drawings at www.phoenixcon.com/. I tried some of the knockoffs too, at one time, but keep coming back to Phoenix. I've seen them drenched under salt water with power applied, and they still come out looking okay (not that anyone would want that as a feature).

For many parts there is nothing like having one in hand and a pair of calipers. I'd do that anyway, measure it in person, because there can be errors in CAD drawings from the manufacturer, or misinterpretations or ambiguities. Misdimensioning, wrong metric or english units, cut and paste between different part numbers, undocumented revisions, etc. etc. makes it caveat emptor. Once you have it in your library and verified it on a board, well, there it is.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2006-11-02 17:36
    Yea....that is one thing about Eagle that I dislike. The librarys are slim, and the ones you can download are nice, but don't cover much of what I'll be using.

But hey I do like the program. I've only benn using it for a couple of weeks....and have got real good at it already. It is quite easy to understand.

I'll just keep making libraries.

James L
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-02 19:19
    Hi James, I confused you with James (Javalin) and posted a Eagle library for the P8X32 QFP the·thread he is in: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=613543

Use it if you like it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-11-02 20:19
    Paul,

I actually redesigned the Propeller library. The library has the same·layout(schematic) for all chips. At least the library I had did. I redid the layouts for each chip. That way you can see potential wiring problems before you get to the board view.

Just to let the unknowing know.

James L
    edited 2006-11-02 20:26
    James, if you need any data sheets let me know - I have a pretty good collection.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2006-11-03 00:06
    Team:

Would there be any interest in somehow developing an Eagle library of parts related to Propeller boards?

The Parallax site has a collection of Propeller objects that have been developed by skilled users, and digging through these objects can be very helpful. Sometimes making something obscure and impossible into something manageable. Likewise a collection of part details in Eagle format might get some of us closer to designing boards ourselves.

Jim C