Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
connecting the parallax servo controller to other microcontrollers — Parallax Forums

connecting the parallax servo controller to other microcontrollers

littlebananaslittlebananas Posts: 4
edited 2006-10-31 15:55 in General Discussion
Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to this microcontroller stuff (this is my first post in the forum!) and would like everyone's expertise and advice on one issue that I am having. I do have some experience in programming languages but it has mostly been on the software side of things.

Here is my question:
Basically, I have a PSC (serial version) connected to my BOE, and everything works the way it should. From what I can tell, the PSC has a single serial pin that communicates in both directions back to the basic stamp - correct me if i'm wrong.

Now, instead of the BOE, I would like to connect the same PSC directly to another microcontroller - specifically the arduino, which has two separate hardware serial Tx and Rx pins built-in. The question is this: if the PSC has only one pin to transmit both incoming/outgoing signals, how do I connect the arduino to it so that the arduino is able to communicate properly with the PSC?

I've tried connecting only the Tx pin to the PSC, and since there the receiving pin is not connected, I'm unable to check even the !SCVER command to see if the link is there?

Appreciate any input, thanks!

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-10-31 15:35
    See the attached file.
    You can open it with notepad.
    At the start is some interface info.
    The last function in the file shows how to deal with the local echoes.

regards peter
  • littlebananaslittlebananas Posts: 4
    edited 2006-10-31 15:55
    Thanks Peter, this is exactly the stuff I need to understand how serial communication works.

smile.gif