Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programmable hammer — Parallax Forums

Programmable hammer

LSBLSB Posts: 175
edited 2006-11-01 14:05 in General Discussion
As the subject... I need a small device to deliver variable force 'taps'; perhaps a solinoid, using PWM, would do this? Is there a more appropriate device?

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Lee HarkerLee Harker Posts: 104
    edited 2006-10-31 14:35
    Are you looking for something to actually act with the force of a hammer like to drive nails or to make a tapping sound? The suggestions of what to use depends on the intensity of the force needed. A solenoid could be used for a lighter force but when you consider an actual hammer you may want to look at the design of a nail gun.

Lee Harker
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-10-31 16:18
    RE: nail gun....
    then comes the obvious safety issues with remote firing such a device.

A servo with a cam pushing against an arm with a spring....the cam would push the arm back until the cam slipped it and the spring flings it back.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-10-31 16:50
    LSB,
    Lemme guess...making a piano or drum player?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • Tommy BotTommy Bot Posts: 60
    edited 2006-10-31 17:00
    linear actuators

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    (Frequently heard from other's)

Tommy, I know it wasn't designed to·x, but can you make it·do x·anyway?

·
  • LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2006-11-01 02:09
    Close with the piano.
    I had this grand scheme to make a wind vane from the Memsic tilt sensor. It is a beautiful idea, the tilt gives wind direction and 'tip' gives wind speed. I purchased an eight inch frosted ball (outdoor driveway light type) and plan to put it on a flexible stalk on my roof with LEDs inside to blink out max wind gust (in red) and last gust (in green). So then I got to thinking... Why not a weather station? You know... humidity, temperature, wind, rain, and all that. Then I think, “Why have some bland old LCD hung on a wall as the only evidence of my effort? Why not make the information available throughout the house?” A wind chime 'scale' could be used to tap out codes representing temperature (three low pitched notes, then a code of lows and highs representing the value--or some such). The same for wind, but maybe spacing the notes far apart for light breezes, closer for higher speeds. Various patterns describe 24 hour rain total, etcetera. Of course it would be overwhelming to hear all of it at once, but temperature at 10 after the hour, wind at 20 past... My wife and I collect clocks, the house is a cacophony of dings, dongs, and coo-coos on the hour and the half, but gentle tones sweeping down the stairs seemed like something we'd both enjoy—and learn to ignore or appreciate as moods shifted.
    Me thinks, however, that the cost grows beyond my hobby means, and already my scant knowledge is tested. I have the software in the stamp for ‘wind’ (roughly) and already fitting all the functions in one BS2 seems optimistic at best. That means a network of at least two stamps—I’m using a serial link to my PC for an RTC. Costs mount as I look at sensors, consider cabling, and the effort to buy or make PCBs…
    At last I considered only the wind vane and a simple chime to start (R/C season is almost over). Smart modules for other functions using cheaper BS1s might allow me to receive pre-digested information and only ‘play’ the received information though the BS2. Now I read about the temperature based error in the Memsic (excellent discussion by Andy in the Stamps in Class->Mini Projects section) and wonder if perhaps I should stick with a more traditional sensor; it isn’t much fun fighting my way through the hardware/ software if I know the results aren’t accurate.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-11-01 14:05
    hehe....see how things get out of hand when you get excited.
    You've already made some baby steps..just make a few more.

Use your single stamp and get each phase of things running on it....then look at purchasing the SX chip. Your code will have to change a bit, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a normal stamp, and you can throw these things all over the place and they can send their Wx data back to your main stamp. That stamp could then send the data out to another SX that will feed the LED's and audio sources.
    I didn't look, but I think the SX is running sub $10 for sure. The hurdle is the differnet language.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."