Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK udp disconnect — Parallax Forums

PINK udp disconnect

MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
edited 2006-11-06 16:43 in BASIC Stamp
OK. PINKy is working for all the basic stuff, but I can't get it to 'see' incoming udp messages. On the variables page, the varST never changes, but on the diagnostics page under the Data Counters button, rx_udp counts up every time I send a packet (Uh...I send the packet from across the room TO the PINK...so, technically, that last sentence should be all about the rx_udp counting up when I receive a packet...so confusing...).

So here's the thing--I don't doubt I could buy another PINK and get the 2 of them to send STAMP inspired udp packets back and forth, but what I really need is to read the packets I'm already sending. Any thoughts on writing these packets to memory? Examples? Examples would be great.

Thanks,
Kalo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-30 22:28
    Jules,
    ·
    ·· Have you ruled out the messages being blocked by a firewall?· Quite often that is the case with messages not getting to their destination.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
    edited 2006-10-31 02:15
    Well, I don't think there is a firewall involved. Both the source box (Grass Valley Group 8900 Gecko Process Frame w/SNMP agent enabled) and the PINK are connected via Cat-5e to an intelligent switch. I suppose it is possible the switch won't allow UDP traffic, but I can see on the PINK there is some acknowledgement (rx_udp counter) of incoming UDPackets. If the Netburner can see the packets, shouldn't it at least set the status bit?

- K

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard
    edited 2006-10-31 03:23
    Jules,
    ·
    ·· So far about every configuration I have seen involved a Router, so I thought you may have one.· Perhaps there is something else going on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-01 21:18
    Current configuration:

1 Linksys router (192.168.1.1) serves as DHL gateway for the PC (192.168.1.2) and is connected via straight Cat-5e to a network switch. The switch has 3 devices connected: the router above, the PINK (192.168.1.249) and the GVG Process Frame (192.168.1.218).

The GVG Frame is the source of SNMP Trap Reports (UDP Packets).

The PINK is powered through a BOE using servo connector leads. Connection and Link lights behave appropriately. I have tried communications with the BS2 -> PINK serial lines both connected and disconnected. No joy in either case.

From both the PC and the PINK, I can ping both other devices.

I have attempted the same tests with the router removed from the setup and a laptop replacing the PC. No differences.

Procedure:

The GVG Frame sends SNMP Trap Reports when monitored conditions change. To send a message, I remove and/or replace the incoming video signal at the Frame. When I refresh the NetBurner diagnostic page (http://192.168.1.249/nb_diag.htm?C=) with "Data Counters" selected, the rx_udp counter has been incremented by the number of changes I've made. So far so good.

Reloading the Variables page (http://192.168.1.249/VV_Show.htm) shows neither of the relevant variables (Nb_varBI, Nb_varBM) have changed. In fact, there has been no variable change whatever. Even if the message is completely empty of content (not that I think it should be) the status bit should flip, right?

Obviously, I'm missing something...but I have no idea what it might be.

Thoughts?

Kalo (Not Jules...he's dead...and French...and quite a bit brighter than I)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

- Jules Renard
    edited 2006-11-01 22:53
    Kalo,
    ·
    ·· Sorry, I though that was your sig-line…Anyway, I can test it on my end at some point this week and maybe have you try some sample code.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-11-02 05:49
    Chris,
    No worries on the sig.

If you can mock something up, that would be great. In the unlikely event you'd like to go so far as using a GVG source, I'm just down the road from you and happen to have a spare :~}

- K

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

- Jules Renard
    edited 2006-11-06 16:43
    Crapola.
    While searching for an explanation the the dilemna above, I stumbled across this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=8&m=95149&p=1

and tried out the udpclient program. It works just fine, which tells me a couple of things.

1) PINKy listens on port 10000 for udp and sets bit 5 when a packet is received. Actually, these nuggets showed up elsewhere is the thread, but I was able to confirm them.
    2) In order to use PINK for this project, I need to either change it's firmware, change the source's firmware, or set up a PC to intercept each packet and re-broadcast with port 10000.

Blech.

- K

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

- Jules Renard