Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Servo Controller -- posted docs not current; ?? about pull-up resistor — Parallax Forums

Parallax Servo Controller -- posted docs not current; ?? about pull-up resistor

ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
edited 2006-10-30 23:07 in General Discussion
The printed documentation that came with my PSC has this slug at the bottom of every page:

"Rev B ver 2.4 (#28023) • 1/2005"

The printed doc contains the full description of the serial protocol used by the PSC (2400/38k4; N 8 2) -- open drain.

However, the POSTED documentation at the Parallax site has this slug on each page:

"Rev B ver 2.2 (#29023) • 4/2004"

And the POSTED docs do not contain any references to the actual serial settings (beyond a general discussion of baud rate and the adding of $8000 to the baud to make it "open").

Now, my PSC works fine, but I want to share that serial I/O pin with some other serial devices in open mode, so I wanted to nail things down and make sure I can do what I want. That's how I stumbled upon the omission from the posted docs.

That said, I realized I have another question:

The Stamp manual discusses the need for a pull-up or pull-down resistor when using SEROUT in open modes -- but neither version of the PSC docs mention the need for the pull-up resistor on the serial line. Is there some magic at work here that pulls the serial line high for my PSC? I looked on the PSC schematic but didn't see a pull-up resistor there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-30 17:29
    Zoot,
    ·
    ·· Thanks for pointing that out.· I will send an e-mail to our Web people to have the correct documentation listed.· While a pull-up is needed in many situations using Open Baud Mode, it is not required in this case.··Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-10-30 17:33
    Thanks! At first I thought I was just tired when the printed doc didn't match the version online.

Might I ask *why* the pull-up isn't needed? My PSC has been working just fine for months, but I'm curious... and if I required the pull-up for another reason (say I put two Stamps and PSC on the same serial line), would the pull-up cause any problems reading or writing to the PSC?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-10-30 18:11
    Zoot,
    ·
    ·· The controller chip used has internal pull-up capability on the I/O lines much like as SX Microcontroller has.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-10-30 18:18
    Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Last question -- my goal is to eventually hook my Stamps, my PSC and two SXs together on the same serial line, open-drain, so they can all communicate and have access to the PSC.

Would I be able to let the internal pull-up on the PSC take care of the pull-up for the whole serial line, or would I want to add another weak pull-up? (I am guessing the internal pull-up on the PSC chip is weak)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-10-30 23:07
    Zoot,
    ·
    ·· I don’t know the specifications for the pull-up on that chip.· You could look up the datasheet on it to check.· I know the specs for the SX pull-ups.· In any event you may very well be able to get away with one common pull-up if the distance between the units isn’t very far.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support