Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
freelancers? — Parallax Forums

freelancers?

upgradersupgraders Posts: 3
edited 2006-10-31 12:43 in BASIC Stamp
I just stumbled across this forum and company products.· I am a computer web developer by trade and an automotive enthusiast. When I started reading about the different chips and such I thought this would bee a good place to maybe fine someone who could help build a simple circuit for me.· You see I am restoring a car that originally had a mechanism that when the door handle was pressed it would drop the window down about 1/4 inch and when the door closed it would roll it back up.· If the window was already down it would of course not do anything.· I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping develop this simple circuit as a freelance project to help me.

Thanks
Jason
Dayton, Ohio USA

Comments

• Roger PiersonRoger Pierson Posts: 62
    edited 2006-10-30 15:58
    My friend's new Mustang does that exact same thing, perhaps the modern hardware is adaptable to your application. Maybe you can track down the components at a parts store or a junk yard.

Of course, knowing Ford, the module that controls the window probably also controls the air bag, power steering, trunk release, fuel injection, turn signals, radio, and air conditioning. That way, when one fails you loose all of those things and have to pay $9999.99 for a new super-does-everything module.

But I digress.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Roger Pierson
    Senior Electronics Technicain
    DTI Assoicates
  • upgradersupgraders Posts: 3
    edited 2006-10-30 16:04
    Yeah that was my first thought and you are right, the EMC that controls that, does everything and it would mean replicating that whole system so it would not fault for missing a sensor from another system and $500 in the manuals to figure out what wires go to what..

Jason
  • Roger PiersonRoger Pierson Posts: 62
    edited 2006-10-30 20:43
    While using a Stamp to create such a circuit wouldn't be very complex, the Navy made me a firm believer in the KISS principle. I don't know how much room you have when the window is up, I think you can accomplish your goal even more simply using something like this:

http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/newark/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp;?SKU=72J6987&N=0

The output of the photodiode is essentially zero when no light is reflected back to it's reciever. If you put a piece of black tape at the lower edge of the window so that it is still hidden behind the door when the window is up, you could postion the emitter to point at the tape. When the door handle switch closed the circuit no current would be output from the photodiode if the window was up. If the window was already down, you get some kind of output.

In this configuration, you'd need a normally closed relay to activate the window motor. This way, when there was no current ouptut (window is up), the relay would remain closed driving the window down until the black tape moved below the photodiode. (Only when the door handle switch completed the circuit) When the window lowered enough unblock the emitter, you would get an output from the photodiode which would hold the relay open, shutting down the motor.

That all depends on there being room to mount the hardware in the proper location. It would also require a fair amount of tinkering to get things just right.

Even simpler, with a bit of research you could probably find a micro-limit switch to accomplish the same function as the photodiode.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. It's a neat little project to think about [noparse]:)[/noparse].

If you still want to use a Stamp, the code would be simple enough I bet you could just do it yourself. I would use a photo resistor and an LED instead of the photodiode and use the output of the photo resistor to tell the Stamp when to trigger the relay. The advantage in that approach is you could use a normally open relay, and only the photo reistor and the led would need to be near the window, the bulky part of the hardware could be anywhere.

- Roger

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Roger Pierson
    Senior Electronics Technicain
    DTI Assoicates
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-10-31 02:43
    This may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose for the car putting the window down and up like that ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
  • HulkHulk Posts: 68
    edited 2006-10-31 02:50
    Maybe to keep your ears from popping?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • upgradersupgraders Posts: 3
    edited 2006-10-31 12:43
    Well this type of car is a roadster with a removable hard top. The way the weather seal works the window must roll up from under it and a lip closes around the top. If you try to open the door with the window full up, it will damage the seal. I like your idea Roger, do you know anyone who would be interested in building the circut for me? if it works out well, there may be a market for it.

Thanks
    Jason