Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK UDP Messages — Parallax Forums

PINK UDP Messages

Roger PiersonRoger Pierson Posts: 62
edited 2006-10-29 23:19 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings friends and neighbors!

I've been looking at this PINK module for a little while and I'm really interested in its ability to send messages via UDP - clearly a better method than the complex RS-232 method I've been dreaming up for my project. My project requires the networking of many BS2's across an entire launch compound using fiber as the medium. I was just going to use some RS232 - fiber transcievers and write code for addressing each stamp and to support polling by the 'master'. The transcievers I had in mind support RS-232 in a 'ring' network.

But now this PINK module has caught my interest. Rather than developing my own method for addressing each stamp and working out some sort of flow control, I could simply send a UDP message to the IP address of the STAMP I would like to address. Simple 10 Base/T media converters will handle the connection to the fiber optics to get the data across the compound.

Does this sound right?

If I have all of that right, then here are a couple of additional questions:

Do UDP messages get buffered? In other words, if two devices transmit messages to the network master, will the controlling STAMP be able to read both messages? I suspect not, since the documentation mentions only a single variable for storing UDP messages.

Can the connected STAMP set the PINK's IP address? Say for some reason the IP address got wiped from the PINK module - upon startup could the STAMP recover from such a problem by reloading the data into the PINK module?

Does the PINK have an on-board DHCP server? I doubt it, but if so it would make the previous question pointless.

Thanks in advance for the info!

-Roger

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Roger Pierson
Senior Electronics Technicain
DTI Assoicates

Comments

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2006-10-29 21:59
    Roger,

I have used the pink for a few projects.· But never UDP.· I use it to send an email.

The pink can either be set to a static IP or use DHCP

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-29 23:19
    Roger,
    ·
    ·· The Stamp Module cannot set the IP Address…Either you must set a static address using IPSETUP or you must have DHCP enabled and your router or server will assign an IP address when the unit is powered up.· The PINK does not have its own on-board DHCP server, it is merely a web server on its own.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support