Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
internet control of bs2 items — Parallax Forums

internet control of bs2 items

ddoudddoud Posts: 10
edited 2006-10-31 03:41 in BASIC Stamp
I'd like to be able to use the Internet to control a camera mounted on a servo via a BS2. Has anyone ever done this before or have any tips? I havent bought anything yet, so I'm open to whatever.

Thanks
d

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-10-29 17:42
    You will need some way to connect to the internet as the bs2 is not capable of doing that by itself. You might consider the 'pink' from parallax or you can build your own. Circuit Cellar had an article about running a message board over the network.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-10-29 17:52
    My students and I have made an internet camera gimble before. For the Serial to Ethernet/Internet communications we used the iPocket232 from Precidia. It essentially makes a transparent connection to the programming port, though with you can connect via TCP using either StampPlot or a serial to TCP virtual driver, etc.

-Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-10-30 17:33
    I did this once with an Axis 2100 webcam to control a pan-tilt platform (an X10 "Ninja" P/T hacked with an SX18). The Axis camera has both Ethernet and RS232 ports. I use the RS232 port to communicate with the SX. That way I can send commands to the pan-tilt via the network, through the Axis camera, using the telnet protocol. The Axis camera, which runs Linux, has an available telnet daemon that redirects the command out its serial port. Attached is a picture of the combined units.

The same method would work just as well with a BASIC Stamp as with an SX. But you do need a camera that has both Ethernet and RS232 ports and a way to communicate between them.

-Phil
    600 x 450 - 24K
  • KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
    edited 2006-10-31 01:16
    Phil Pilgrim-

In your reply you mention "telnet daemon". Would explain what this is? Thanks
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-10-31 03:41
    Katy,

A daemon, in this context, is a server program that sits in the background and waits for requests to come in via some communications channel. Telnet daemons (servers) typically answer requests on network port 23. The particular one I'm referring to (named serservd in the Axis 2100) simply serves as a bridge between the ethernet port and the RS232 port. Other telnet daemons will let you log into an operating system and execute commands.

-Phil